What age do you think a child should do homework independently?

My daughter is 12, and she is driving me nuts, she always comes home with loads of homework, although she complains she can't do it, eventually she does do it after 3 long hours. I don't mind helping but when is enough, enough. Am I the only one. How should I address this? I get soo agravated. :(

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• The rule in our house has always been you do your homework on your own and if you get stuck on a problem then let me know and I will help you but I will not give them the answers ever.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have my 7 year old do it on his own and if he needs help he comes to me. When he is done I will check his work, if anything is wrong I then will show him how it is done and have him do it over.

He must do his homework right away or he doesn't get to play or watch TV. Once in awhile I will give him a break from doing it right away. Maybe you can try that with her? Maybe take something away and have her earn it back? Sooner they get it done they can have their free time.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• This is how we handle homework in my house. My children are 11, 9 and 7. They sit at the table and start their homework while I am making dinner or just getting things together. If they have a question they ask me.

Usually the 2 younger ones do their homework right away because it is usually one sheet and it is easy. My oldest usually has a snack first and then he starts on his. With my oldest I got to the point were I told him "I already passed 6th grade and if you can not put any effort in then you are only hurting yourself"

Hope this helps and good luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My 6 year old does his homework independently. If he has questions or is having a hard time with part of it then we help, obviously.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• when we come home the routine is: take a snack and get out the homework. Lately one is in the dining room, the other is in the kitchen, unless he needs to type. They snack and do their work. Then it is one taking a shower while the other practices piano. DInner. Chores (one sweeps the other clears and wipes down the table.) Free time.
    I always help when they needs something and generally try to keep their little brother out of the way.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My 6yr old who is in Kindergarten does her homework by herself, If she needs help all she needs to do is ask me. I stay in the same room with her, That way if she needs me I am their to help her. And when she is finished I check it and make sure it is correct.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009