Why do we have to do History?

My 12 year old has a block, she says why do we need to know about China, and Religion. Why this, and Why that. I think this is keeping her from doing her history homework in a timely manner. Any suggestions, how to explain to a 12 year old Why?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• History repeats itself. We study history and cultures to understand better what is going on in the world today. One thing that makes human beings advance is that they can learn from the past. For example, the present financial problems. Because we are aware of what can happen- the Great Depression being one, we have taken measures to avoid that happening again. If we didn't know about it we could have made the same mistakes. Also wars, we know how bad they are since we have history to refer to, so we take measures to avoid them (or some... anyway...) . We study cultures since we have to know how to get along with or how to deal with people in other countries, they aren't Americans living in another country, they are people with a different history and different upbringing and traditions.

Answer by Bmat at 10:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Has she ever been to a history museum? If not maybe take her there so she has some visual on things. Maybe that will get her more interested. I always found history fascinating. I think it plays a big factor on how thinsg are today.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I always wondered the same thing growing up, but now I wish I would have payed more attention. Its neat to know other cultures and backgrounds. I wouldnt know how to explain that to where a 12 year old would get excited to do it though lol. I think history, especially where you come from, is good knowledge to have.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Why? There is so much to learn from history! And as Bmat mentioned, history repeats itself, and a way to solve today's problems is to look back and see what others did in similar situations! It never hurts to be well-rounded either, and able to respect other cultures and beliefs.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• tell because being ignorant makes you stupid. lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:29 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• its is important to know history .. cause is a way you learn something new and you imagine things..in courage your daughter and take to museum. also if you guys travel to places go to their museum also
    leg1284

Answer by leg1284 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• "The only thing we ever learn from history is that we never learn from history."
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• To know where we've been is to know where we're going. Why are we at war in the Middle East right now? Well, the story goes back THOUSANDS of years, it's ancient history. (hint - it has little or nothing to do with WMD's). Who we are, where we came from, learn from the mistakes of others, and do not repeat them (even if we do, over and over and over again ... usually those decisions are made by people who were not able to see their mistakes inside a Historical context). Everything we are or have today is shaped by History. Everything that happens today was caused (at least in part) in something that happened hundreds or thousands of years ago. To know History is to know the present.
    Anonymous