• In the Spotlight:

Do the icecream men/people in your area look sort of scary?

Why are they always dishelved looking, not the sort of people you would want your children around? Yes, I do think they should have to do background checks in this profession.

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• YES! And how when we were kids it was in a cute looking vintage ice cream custom truck and now any stoner looking dude with a van throws in a cooler and paints on the outside of it? Very scary! I thought this was just in my neck of the woods!!! And do you remember last summer I think there was a newstory about an ice cream man doubling as a dealer and delivering treats and pot on his routes at the same time?!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• We don't have ice cream people in our area.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 3:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Oh my yes! I still haven't decided if we will ever buy anything from them. It's such a fun part of childhood but they sure look scary.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Yes the ice cream drivers around here look very scary!! They look like the people you see on Unsolved Mysteries.We don't buy anything from the ice cream truck anyway because it's too expensive. You can buy a whole box of popsicles at Save a Lot for what you pay for one popsicle from the ice cream truck.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i try not to judge people by their appearances. many good-looking, well-groomed people are child molesters. (i should know--i was a victim.) but--you can never be too careful of who your kids hang around.
    Anonymous

• Yes... PP. But its not only child molesters.... drugs, as stated earlier, are a bigger threat with these guys, I would assume.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 5:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Im afraid of them... I saw a movie once about an ice cream driver who took kids and cut off their and put dolls hand on them -or something like that. I never got mobile ice cream again! LOL
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree about not judging by appearances, but you have to admit that in life your first impression is lasting. To me, the "Rob Zombie," music blasting hard rock, smoking driver is not exactly inviting a kid-appropriate exchange.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• In my area a number of 'independant ice cream vendors' have been shut down due to health code violations.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• The ice cream man/pot dealer was in Benton Harbor, MI. I remember when it was on the national news last summer. This year we haven't seen the "summer song" truck very often, thankfully.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008