what do you use?

i've heard ladies here say they can't use tampons. i understand that may be for a medical reason or whatever. but recently there was discussion here about they are dangerous? we all know about TSS and obviously don't leave them in too long. but what other reason is there to only use pads? i am experimenting today and using a pad just to see if i can live with it. it's been 2 hours and i feel like i'm wearing a diaper.
what are your reasons for using either tampons OR pads? maybe there's something i don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Health

• I use both. my flow is very light so I can only use a tampon the first 1-2 days of my period. after that it's still too dry to comfortably pull out after 8 hours. this is a mixed blessing bc I hate wearing pads.
    some people just think tampons are icky.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i have to use pads because if i use a tampon it hurts i have used all the kinds and sizes nothing works i hate wearing pads but i have to wear something or i will bleed all over myself and i use to never be this way bt since i have had kids i have to wear them
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• some people use instead cups or diva cups, moon cups. whatever. i want to try them but i just haven't been able to bring myself to try them and well.. i haven't had a period in 4 months. =\ lol
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I just prefer to use pads. To me, tampons are uncomfortable (more so than pads) and I have a difficult time trusting they aren't going to leak. The last thing I want is to be out in public and have a nice red spot on my pants, lol. The pads I buy don't leak and I've never had any issues with them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Ok.....I finally have a chance to tell my "INSTEAD" story....

The Instead cups are like little diaphragms - they pop up under the cervix to catch the menstrual flow. Kinda gross but amazing product - they work like a charm and I love 'em. Or used to.

I go through stages of having fake nails and then ripping 'em off and then getting them again - dork, I know. Anyway, this was a "nails on" phase and they were much longer than I was used to. I'm at work, in the ladies, changing out my Instead. You kind of slide it out (yes, full of yuck) and flush the liquid and throw the cup away.

cont...

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well, I'm sliding it out and I lose control. My nails catch on it and WHAMMO - the yuck is EVERYWHERE. On the walls, on the floor, on ME, everywhere. It looked like an abattoir had exploded. Completely gross. I had to wait to be rescued - this was 1997 or so, before "everyone" had a cellphone.

Walk of shame back to my desk to get my car keys covered in my raincoat. Complete humilation by the (actually very sweet) janitorial staff.

Ever since then, I'm a tampon kinda gal.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• LOL. I used to use Instead years ago and I did like them. But yeah, it could get messy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I loved OB's & they worked Best for me! All throught the Years! Now I changed & so did they!! Now they don't protect me like I used to! I lost my Trust with them!! Plus now I worry!! Plus At the Antique Shop I'm At- has NO Running Water, Plumbing or A Bathroom! Do I'm SO, So Scared on days I'm stuck there!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I've never been able to use tampons. They just don't fit well when they are in there. I use thin pads so it's not like having a pillow between your legs.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I use tampons when I am working out or swimming. It's better than having a bulky pad coming loose or springing off my underwear mid workout. Believe it or not, I am 34 and only a few years ago learned how to put a tampon in. I use pads all the other time. I hate having to yank the thing out when I pee and put another one in. And sometimes my flow is so heavy it leaks through anyway.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009