Ideas for pizza night?

Hubby, the kids and I want to do homemade pizza night on Friday...first time for us! Was wondering if any of you wonderful ladies have any recipes for dough and sauces? I was actually thinking that having a red sauce and a white sauce would be tasty. Any suggestions for us?

sdks2011

Asked by sdks2011 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Pizza dough: 4 cup flour, 6 tsp. baking powder, 2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 cup milk, 2/3 c. vegetable oil
    Pour oil and milk mixture over flour mixture. Mix with fork. Shape into ball, knead until smooth. Roll out on greased cookie sheet. Top with sauce and toppings. Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes.

Red sause could be marinara or basic italian sauce. Homemade sauce: crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, bazil and sugar.

JR.MOM

Answer by JR.MOM at 12:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• I just use the dough mixes when I do it and add a tad of sugar to it then whatever toppings you want!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• I used a garlic alfredo sauce the other day on homemade pizza.. it was delicious. I topped it with onions sauteed in balsamic, crumbled bacon, and fresh tomatoes.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Best pizza dough I've ever found/make is this:

1 envelope active dry yeast (or 10g fresh yeast)
    1 c water (105-110 for active dry)
    2 1/4-2 3/4c flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 1/2 tsp sugar
    (2 tbs cornmeal - optional)
    Olive oil

Dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/4 c flour, sugar and salt (and cornmeal). Add yeast mixture and stir until smooth. Let dough rest 10 mins. Kneed dough with floured hands until elastic and smooth - about 10 mins. If too sticky gradually work in the last 1/2 c flour until no longer tacky. It will be softer than most doughs so resist urge to add more too much flour. Divide in 2 balls and place in separate bowls. Coat each ball with a little olive oil and cover bowl with plastic wrap until doubled (1.5 hrs.) Roll out and use.

Bake time is 450 degrees and 10 minutes normally.

Note: I've added corn meal for texture. It's not needed, but it makes it closer in similari
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• *it's not needed but it makes it closer in taste to the crust I've always loved. I've also added garlic powder to the mix before with great success - but I LOOOOOOVE garlic!

As for toppings - My favorite with my dough is 1 container of ricotta cheese mixed to taste with garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning as my "sauce" then topped with artichoke and spinach (sometimes I'll add onion, black olives, green peppers, bacon as I have it). Any melting cheese I have on hand works (mozzarella, Cojack, monetary jack, etc).

Argh. Now I want homemade pizza again.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Making pizza is such a great family activity!

1 package yeast
    1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (I sub ½ cup of milk or beer)
    3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (I sub 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil

In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the water, and let proof 10 minutes (I add a pinch of sugar to feed the yeast).

Add flour, salt (I cut to 1 tsp), olive oil and remaining water. Mix well and knead until the dough is smooth, about 10 minutes. Add more flour if necessary to make a smooth, silky dough. The easiest thing is to put it in a stand mixer with a dough hook and let it go - it's a bit sticky.

Put dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and let it rest 10 min.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Divide dough into 4 pieces and shape each piece into a flat circle approx 10 inches in diameter. Preheat oven to 450, and brush tops of dough with olive oil.

Place on baking sheet dusted with cornmeal, and bake until brown around edges and cheese is melted, about 15 min.

for sauce, I usually buy Muir Glen

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Homemade Pizza Recipe

Prep time: 2 hours
    Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients

Pizza Dough: Makes enough dough for two 10-12 inch pizzas

1 1/2 cups warm water (105°F-115°F)
    1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active dry yeast (check the expiration date on the package)
    3 1/2 cups bread flour (can use all-purpose but bread flour will give you a crisper crust)
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon sugar

Pizza Ingredients

Olive oil
    Cornmeal (to slide the pizza onto the pizza stone)

Tomato sauce (purée)
    Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese, shredded
    Feta cheese
    Mushrooms, thinly sliced
    Bell peppers, stems and seeds removed, thinly sliced
    Italian sausage, cooked ahead
    Chopped fresh basil
    Pesto
    Pepperoni, thinly sliced
    Onions, thinly sl
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• cont

Onions, thinly sliced
    Sliced ham

Making the Pizza Dough

1 In the large bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid), add the warm water. Sprinkle on the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved. Stir to dissolve completely if needed at the end of 5 minutes.

2 Attach a mixing paddle to the mixer. Mix in the olive oil, flour, salt and sugar on low speed for about a minute. Remove the mixing paddle and replace with a dough hook. Knead using the mixer and dough hook, on low to medium speed, until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If you don't have a mixer, you can mix and knead by hand. If the dough seems a little too wet, sprinkle on a bit more flour.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• cont

3 Place ball of dough in a bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Turn the dough around in the bowl so that it gets coated with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit in a warm place (75-85°F) until it doubles in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (or several hours longer, a longer rise will improve the flavor). If you don't have a warm spot in the house you can heat the oven to 150 degrees, and then turn off the oven. Let the oven cool till it is just a little warm, then place the bowl of dough in this warmed oven to rise.

Preparing the Pizzas

1 Place a pizza stone on a rack in the lower third of your oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour.

2 Remove the plastic cover from the dough and punch the dough down so it deflates a bit. Divide the dough in half. Form two round balls of dough. Place each in its own bowl, cover with plastic and let sit for 10 minutes.

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2012