Another question about my poodle

She is just over a year old. This is my first dog. Another person on here wondered why i had not spayed her-i didn't know it was time to-is it? She has not started to have a period, she doesn't hunch.LOL. My g-ma thought she would atleast be doing that by now! I thought about breeding, she is a purebred chocolate toy poodle. However, after michiganmom answered my question, i didn't realize how much was involved and didn't realize that it was a bad idea with the overpop of dogs without homes. I knew there were animals without a home out there, but i am new at this! How much does it cost to have her spayed? She is strictly an inside dog-i only let her out in our fenced in yard, she runs a little and potties. cont..

hw1977

Asked by hw1977 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Once she comes into her first "heat" you will have to watch every single minute she is outside because male dogs will be outside your door, all ready and eager to mate her. You can't be safe even with a fenced yard--dogs have even mated through chain-link fences. Some dogs go into heat at 5 months old. Since she is a year old get her fixed NOW! Prices vary widely but it will probably cost $100-$150. There may be some additional costs with this since she will have to have a rabies shot before they will do the surgery. I will assume that since you don't know when she should be spayed, you haven't taken her to a vet and so she doesn't already have the rabies shot. This is absolutely mandatory just about everywhere. Even if you were able to prevent an accidental mating, which is just about impossible, do you really want a herd of stray male dogs hanging around outside your back door?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She has had her shots! I am not that clueless!LOL! She has been to the vet several times. But the last time i took her was about 4 mos ago. She completed her vaccines and he said she didn't need to come back unless we had a problem.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My husband had a german shepherd that was not spayed and he had a six foot fence. A dog down the street JUMPED the fence easily. 10 puppies later he decided it was best to get her spayed finally.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i think it's like $30.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 3:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Ask your vet what it will cost. $30 is awfully low...this *is* surgery.

We had our dog spayed when she was five months old. Since we bought veterinary insurance, the surgery was covered and we didn't owe a thing. Our insurance is though Banfield Pet Hospital. I've been pretty happy with them so far. We're paying $30/month, and that's covered everything we've had done so far.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Jan. 14, 2009