Can I mix rice cereal with red grape juice for my five month old?

I'm out of breast milk for the moment. The juice is 100% fruit juice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would use plain water .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I agree, I would just use water.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't... grape juice is sometimes used for constipation, so it could affect your LO's digestive system a bit... I would use water. It is not recommended to use juice for an infant until over 6 months of age.. closer to one year actually.

Claire
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If they don't like the taste of the cereal with out something sweet then i would just use the actual fruit to mix in with it Maybe apple or peach. Juice is risky for young babies. It does something weird to their system. If it's because of constipation, then the pitted fruits are what make us loose. That's "pit"...not "seed", like most common misconceptions. My doctor told me that and i about fell over because I had been giving my daughter apples for constipation for the last few months!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well I guess three is the magic number. Water it is. Thanks ladies!!!
    Anonymous

• Go ahead, but dilute by half with water.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I was going to mix it with some pear sauce that I made yesterday anyway. It's not for constipation, just for taste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Oh and 5 months is a little young, but if you only use a spoonful, it won't hurt. I did it...but watch for an allergy.
    Anonymous

• i don't think a little bit of juice would be bad. just make sure to dilute it with some water. i used apple juice instead of formula or water in my sons cereal, and the doctor said it was fine.. just to make sure that he didn't get more than 3 ounces of juice a day (to make sure he didn't get diarrea)
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 11:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009