Can you please be very specific?

I try to eat right then I fail I give in to all that good food that is really not good for you. I hear carb, proteins, blah blah blah I don't really understand it I know too much soda is bad for you bread I don't get it it is part of the food pyramid. I need someone to tell me more of this so I may understand better, I would greatly appreciate it. Break it down for me. Thank You...Take Care

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Here's a start- whole grains are good carbs- so use 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread (look at the ingredients and make sure the first ingredient is whole grain not white flour.) Brown rice. I was told anything white is bad- so no white rice, potatoes, flour. Refined sugars are also high in carbs.

Answer by Bmat at 10:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Most bread and pasta in this country is made from refined white flour. This flour is a simple carbohydrate (starch) which converts very quickly in your body to sugar. Whole grain breads and pastas are made from complex carbohydrates and take much longer to convert to sugar, keeping you feeling full longer and keeping your blood sugar levels more stable. Not to mention they have far more fiber, protein and nutrients. You need to look at labels though, because much "wheat" bread is not any better than white bread. You have to look at the fiber count on the nutrition label. High fiber bread is going to have from 4 to 7 grams of fiber per serving. Most white and wheat bread only have less than 1 to 1 gram. The same is true of white rice. Brown rice or wild rice are much better choices. Start doing some research on fiber counts and the glycemic index. This will help you understand what you need to know to eat better.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• the 2005 Dietary Guidelines. Educate yourself.
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/pdf/DGA2005.pdf
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There is a lot of information out there, some of it erroneous, so it can be confusing. I'll start with what you already mention. Soda, yes, is bad for you: no nutrative value at all, and it usually contains high fructose corn syrup. HFCS is very difficult for your body to digest, and is a leading factor in adult onset diabetes.
    Bread. Wonder bread type products are highly processed and have little resemblance to the natural grains that they originate from. These are the ones to avoid. Choose whole or multi-grain breads, which are not only more nutritious, they can help you maintain a stable blood sugar, boost your metabolism, and prevent over-eating. Read the labels, and avoid breads that have less than 2-3 grams of fiber per serving.
    As with bread, it's always better to choose the least processed option. Evaporated cane juice over sugar. Brown and wild rice over white. But there's more to it...
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• cont..

The combinations of food that you eat are important too. The goal, to be healthy, is to maintain a balance for both your metabolism and your glycemic load, or blood glucose levels. This is not just for diabetics. Example: if you eat a bowl of pasta with a meatless red sauce, it will be digested quickly, causing a spike in your blood sugar. You may get a moment of feeling a little energy, and then you'll get tired faster. Now, if you add protein to the sauce, a vegetable, and a slice of whole wheat bread with something like Smart Balance spread (butter sub, no trans fats), it will take longer to digest, your blood sugar remains comparatively stable, your metabolism gets a boost, and you'll feel more satisfied. Does that make sense?
    Another aspect is timing. Eating small portions several times a day will keep your metabolism going at a healthy level, maintain your blood sugar, and maintain energy levels too. (cont)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When you go more than 4 hours without eating anything, your blood sugar levels drop, causing your body to want to hold onto calories because it doesn't know the next time it will see any! Skipping meals is as bad as overeating.

As you get towards evening, choose lighter, easier to digest choices. This will help ensure they're digested properly, leading to better sleep.

Last, make sure you are always getting enough of two things: Sleep and Water. Water not only hydrates you, it also aids in digestion, helping to move food more quickly through the colon and keeping you "regular". Lack of sleep not only makes you less energetic, it slows your thinking process, your metabolism, and digestion all while lowering your immune system.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• One more thing. A lot of times we're tempted to buy things that advertise they are sugar free or fat free. This is almost always a bad idea. In most cases, the sugar or fat that has been removed is replaced by something equally bad or worse. Many fat free foods have excessively high amounts of several types of sugars, or a lot of chemicals to give it the mouth-feel you expect from that food. Ever read the label on non-fat sour cream? Ugh. It is far better if you have a small amount of *real* sour cream (Daisy brand has no added chemicals), than it is to eat a fat-free or lowfat version.

The one exception to this rule is butter. While choosing a smaller amount of butter over margarine is a much better choice, using Smart Balance is even better, because there are no trans fats, and it lowers bad cholesterol while aiding good cholesterol. For baking, they make butter-blend sticks (less saturated fat = less cholesterol.)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• jespeach has some REALLY good thoughts! To add to hers: high fructose corn syrup has been found in studies to inhibit the gene in our bodies that tell us we are hungry, thus, we don't feel full and tend to overeat. It has been said that HFCS is to our bodies like styrofoam is to our environment: it just doesn't break down. You MUST read labels b/c they add HFCS to everything, including foods that most dieters think will help them lose weight. Most of the bread, even the healthy ones, have HFCS added. I have found that Arnold brand does not. Almost ALL yogurt has it (except for Stoneyfield Farms), and it's even in our juices, granola bars, etc. I have lost 10 lbs, and kept it off, just by reading labels!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'e also heard the advice about eating smaller, more frequent meals to keep your metabolism running correctly. They also say to put twice the amount of veggies on your plate than you do any meat and/or carbs. Colorful is always a good indicator of fruits or veggies that are loaded with good nutrients. Good luck!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 4:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Breads are part of the food group pyramid, but it is considered a starch. We end up eating too much starchy foods since potatoes, corn, peas, and rice are part of the daily portions for bread. I learned thi from the south beach diet which was quite informative in learn my food groups.
    Anonymous