How much do you pay a babysitter when you go out?

I am trying to figure out the going rate for babysitters these days.
Do you pay a flat rate, hourly rate, rate per child?

klizb

Asked by klizb at 3:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• we pay 5.00/ hr plus 1.50 per child after the first 2. we have 4 so that would be 8.00 an hr.
    momof4hearts

Answer by momof4hearts at 3:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The average I charge is 10.00/ hr.. I am of course cert. in cpr and first aid. I know some who charge 12.
    Anonymous

• That is a question I would like to know the answer to!!! My kids are in their 20's---when they were little I paid $2.00 an hour per child. We were active duty--and hence we did not go out too often because I was not working!!
    MomMcNally

Answer by MomMcNally at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I pay about $10.00-$11.00/hr (I round it up depending upon what time we get home). BUT-my sitter has been with me since my kids were born, they are 4 y/o TWINS, she does dinner AND baths, AND she drives pretty far (45 minutes!) to get to me. The boys LOVE her and she's worth it!
    saralee521

Answer by saralee521 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am a nanny, and I would say that it depends on what you expect. If you are putting the kids to bed and then going out, I would say $5-8 per hour. If you are expecting the babysitter to put the kids to bed, feed them, baths etc., I would certainly expect $10 per hour.
    NickiH

Answer by NickiH at 4:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It depends on where you live and how old is your sitter-
    For instance; your sitter is 13. I'd pay her 5 hr. If she/he is 17 and has experience, I'd pay 9 or 10 and if she's in college and has experience; its usually 12-14 hour.
    anne246

Answer by anne246 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008