Grammar

Some people don't put a period after their statements-why? They don't use commas or anything-so their sentences run on and on and on! They spell incorrectly-words that are easy to spell! Not everyone does this, but if they want people to get their question-they need to organize their words better and use proper grammar. Does this drive you crazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes. I always have to wonder when I read them I guess. I am not being mean but if someone cannot master the English language every other problem seems entirely secondary to me. Sometimes I cannot answer the question because I dont understand it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's slightly annoying but I have more important things to worry about besides minor spelling and grammar errors. I find it even more annoying when people complain about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It drives me crazy. I feel like I have to sit there and do a puzzle to figure out what's being asked.

Punctuation isn't all that hard. I'm teaching it to my 5 year old right now and he seems to get the idea, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It doesn't annoy me really, but I think it may hinder their search for information. If it isn't clear what they are saying, people can't answer well.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes Teacher!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• People are not on here for a Grammar lesson. That's one thing spell check doesn't do for you.

Answer by louise2 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• not in here so much bc this is a casual setting. now if it's so bad that it's disruptive to understanding the Q, then yes it's too much. otherwise I don't think formal typing such as captialization or perfect punctuation is a must. maybe you should skip that last cup of coffee if it's got your panties in such a twist ;-)
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• For real!! That's what I use my spell check for!! :D
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• If they are not going to put any effort into writing the question, why should I make an effort in the response?

Since when it is WRONG to expect most people to know how to spell most words? Since when it is WRONG to value education? How do you find a site like CafeMom, manage to register, set up your account, and not have a clue that THIS IS YELLING?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:21 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• To teri4lance!
    It is the questions that you cannot understand due to the grammar that i am talking about! Capitalization is not a must, but periods keep you from sounding like you are running on and on, and they complete the idea! Obviously, other people see this, so it is an issue. I was actually asking the question in a non-smartiepants way!LOL. Don't get so defensive--sorry to offend you-who's panties are really in the wad here?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2009