Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If he gets a lawyer for custody first does he get custody?

I live in Kansas. I've already talked to a lawyer about getting a custody agreement set up, but I was told that I need to wait until after all the child support paperwork gets processed then get back to my lawyer and go from there. Now he's saying he is getting a lawyer. Some people have told me that if he fills out the paperwork first he'll get full custody until the custody agreement is finalized and others have told me that since Ks is a 'mother state' that I'll still have full custody. Does anyone know for sure? And since I've already talked to a lawyer even though we haven't done anything about it yet does that help me in keeping him instead of the father getting him? I've asked my lawyer and his answer is always that we need to wait until the child support is figured.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • In texas who ever files for custody first gets the kids. It may be true in your state.

    Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • You need to go file for TEMPORARY custody NOW. Then there is no question. And after you have had temp for so long you will most likely continue to have custody forever.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • if you are trying to get child support then chances are you will get custody. mt stbx tried pulling that when i was trying to get child support but he didnt get very far i asked for child support i got the kids

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.