When and how did you help your daughter start using make up?

My daughter is 12 and in the 7th grade. Most of her friends have been wearing make up for a year or longer already. I am clueless as to when and how I should let her start wearing make up. I don't want her to look too grown up or scary! Is there a way to gradually ease into this? I would like to know how other moms have handled the make up issue. Thanks in advance!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• She is the perfect age to start simple, a little lip gloss and a little mascara, stay away from any foundation for now, liquid or powder. With my girls we waited 6 months before adding to thier make-up, so we next added a little shadow, 6 months later we added a little eyeliner etc,. by the time they were 15 1/2-16 they had a good understanding. It also helped me have a little control until they were old enough to expirament themselves with out looking like a little girl playing dress-up.

Good luck this is one of the fun parts about being a mom.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have found that regardless of "if you want her to use alot of makeup or not" they will add more at school, so I had my 14 yr. old just use it and if she had too much I told her so, we met in the middle. I also let het use the different lighting mirror, just cuz it looks good in the morning doesnt mead it'll look good at noon or dark, it helped, good luck.
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 11:38 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Buy her some loose powder for foundation with a brush. NO liquid foundation. That stuff is bad for your skin and once you start wearing it you can't stop because you look like crap without it.
    Some light eye shadow.
    Mascara
    and lip gloss. I think that's a really good start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 13 and we've been going thru this for the past year or so too. I made the mistake of letting her wear some make up last year and before long she was trying to get away with eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, etc and she just looked rediculous! I didn't say it, but she looked about 3 blocks away from gaining a pimp! i had to put a stop to it and have been trying to teach her the inner beauty issue first, because she thinks she HAS to have the make up.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I don't wear make up myself, but when I first started, my mom took me to one of the mary kay beauty consultants and had them show me the proper way to wear it before I could ever try to wear it to school. I actually think that helped me be confident that I wasnt looking trashy and I had a ton of compliments. The only thing I would maybe do differently is update the look with a new consult every now and then so that when a new fad comes out, her make up doesn't look outdated. BTW, I don't plan on giving in again until her freshman year. Their still "kids" when their in middle school. :)
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Books! There are a lot of good ones out there that teach young girls how to do age appropriate looks. You can buy it and go through it with her, or read it yourself and teach her the techniques.

There are also lots of sites with tips if you don't want to spend the money on books(or like me, have no place to store them!). Just Google it, find a site you like, and go from there.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my husband was worried about this and my dd is just 6. when i told him that dd goes to a school where they are not allowed to wear anything but lip gloss, he was quite happy about that. but i don't wear a lot (well any, unless i am going out with dh), neither does my mom so i don't really see my dd wanting to wear a lot of it either. but honestly from being a middle school teacher, i would wait until she was in high school (where i also taught) until I would allow my dd to wear more than lip gloss.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• at 12 she was allowed colored lipgloss and clear mascara. At 14 I took her on her birthday for a makeover so they could show her how to apply her makeup and since then she's allowed whatever she wants as long as it's applied tasefully.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I guess I'm the radical mother here I allow my 12 yr old to wear make-up as long as she looks tasteful (and yes there have been times I've made her go wash her face cause she looked like a two bit tramp). Now she and her best friend have always loved to play dress up and used to be allowed to put on make up (her friends Grandma worked at the makeup counter at Neimans so she always brought them samples to play with) and they learned young from Gram how to apply it correctly so they didn't look like clowns. Now she doesn't wear foundation because she doesn't need it but eyeliner, mascara, blush, and some colored lip gloss I don't think it hurts.
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I didnt let my daughter wear any make up til last yr she is 15 and will be 16 in March and now we are worried about the dating issue more than the make up issue
    timster7583

Answer by timster7583 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 14, 2009