Why is blood coming up from my throat?

Im a 26 yr old and i started getting a cold the other day with a sore throat and when I woke up this am it felt like i had a ball stuck in my throat and when i swallowed it felt like i had cuts in my throat (very painful). yesterday night i had blood in my throat when I would spit up mucus and then its happening again this evening. Its bright red and cloted with mucus. It cant be coming from my nasel passages because I have been blowing my nose for two days now and not one sign of blood has shown up just eithe clear or very yellowish. Should I go to the er cause I dont have inssurance untill next month or should I just wait it out some more? I nurse our 20 month old so I dont want to take anything that would dry me up but im afaid I might have to take somthing to help with whatever is going on I just dont know what.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2012 in Health

• I'm not in the medical field, but your symptoms seem to me to need medical care soon. You should go.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• You have most likely strep throat, feels like rocks, pus pockest ooze blood,, you need some medicine,, you need the doctor hun.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Sounds like strep to me :( Do you have a free clinic you could get in to?
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Are your tonsils swollen? Where do you think the blood is coming from? Could it be from your tonsils? Or do you think it is coming from your lungs?

I would probably still go to the doctor. I know that is a crappy answer. I am someone that never goes to the doctor unless I am dying, but I would probably go.

My sister one time had tonsillitis that caused her tonsils to bleed. She went to the doc who told her to gargle with salt water to reduce the swelling.

Good Luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• if blood is coming up and ur unsure of where its coming from you should really go see a doctor. your probably right and it is probably strep throat or something but either way you need it taken care of. you need medicine.
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2012

• Go to the Dr. If it's strep you don't want to pass that around, but any unusual bleeding should be checked out. Good luck! Hope you feel better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2012

• I agree with the others, you need to be seen. I wouldn't go to the ER, but maybe try to see a regular Dr. (general practitioner) or possibly an urgent care with a Dr. on staff. These will be less expensive for you than an ER visit, not to mention the crazy stuff you can pick up in a hospital.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2012