What should I be doing with my 1 year old for fun ?

What kind of games or activities? is it ok to let her play by herself for an hour or two(she is still in my supervision, i am just not participating)? Should I be more involved?

I'm not sure what to do with her, I usually sit in her play room and let her sit in my lap and play with a toy, or chase her around.

I do her hair sometimes and she likes that. But i can only put her hair in pigtails so many times lol

Any other ideas so that it is more entertaining for me? Or is it ok that I only play with her 50% and let her play with her own toys 50% of the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP- She is literally 12 months! btw
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think its ok to let her play by herself sometimes. As long as there is a happy medium. If she is having fun playing without you, and not crying or fussing, then she is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can do what youre doing there is no harm in her learning how to play alone for an hour or two. It is good for coping skills. But things you can and should do with her is read to her, watch movies with her, color, offer glue sticks and show her how to paste things even if they dont look pretty lol, go for walks, naps etc.

Answer by gemgem at 11:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She needs both types of play. One teaches her independent skills, the other teaches her all sorts of things.
    Get a copy of "The Toddler Busy Book". It's full of simple, fun ideas for the next couple of years. Some will be beyond her now but in case you haven't noticed - kids grow and change overnight!

Have fun with her and she will have fun with you!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She is probably old enough for painting. I do this with my grandson and have done since he was about 13 months. He sometimes tries to eat the paint and uses the wrong end of the brush, but he loves it so much that he begs to do it even though he can't talk....same way he asks for food. I pull him up to the table in his highchair (without the tray) and tape the paper and paint palette to the table (so he can't throw it on the floor) and use non-toxic acrylic paint. The painting also helped with his dexterity and he learned more quickly how to use a spoon and fork....It also buys me some time to get stuff done in the kitchen. Great way to keep them busy when you are trying to make dinner.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm actually a little jealous, I can't beleive she lets you get away with playing with her only 50% of the time. my 13 month old is way clingy. I would also try to get out with her so you're not bored stuck at home too much. Just staring at the stuff in a shop while you browse through the mall or any store is new and interesting at this age. Playdates are great for independent kids especially, 'cause you can hang out with the other moms. she is also old enough for dolls now, maybe you can show her how to do their hair. Soap bubbles are always fun, and she can start learning to play catch with you. I got a whole list of stuff from my little guy's pediatrician a while ago, but for games that are more interesting for you, I'd go for getting out of the house, or silly imitation games.
    Abigailfriend

Answer by Abigailfriend at 1:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• OP- Oh good, I posted anon because I was afraid I was being a bad mom! I feel much more relaxed and excited, thanks mommas!
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 1:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Good advice "FlyMom07", I will have to look into that. My daughter is 17 months old, and is like a bull-dozer! Lol...nothing dainty about this kid. She tosses and throws everything, usually behind her back, and wants everything in her mouth. But I know I need to do more craft type things with her. I let her play on her own sometimes, even without the t.v. on so she can learn to entertain herself since there are times when that is necessary. I think it gives them confidence and security to feel O.K. without a parent or guardian around. It's hard to realize what they are ready for since they do grow up so fast and their little brains soak in everything!
    nrth2sth05

Answer by nrth2sth05 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009