Labor Secretary Nominee supports legislation to allow "card-check" organizing. Do you?

The "Card Check" would make it possible to form a union by collecting cards from a majority of workers, rather than through a secret-ballot election. Business groups say this would expose workers to union intimidation, while unions contend that the current system leads to unfair pressure from employers before elections.

Do you think this nation needs more unions?
Do you think Unions and Democratic Leaders have an Alliance and agenda beyond the Greater Good of this Country?

The SEIU, one of the most aggressive -- and progressive -- labor unions in the country reportedly spent $80 million during the election to help Obama get the word out.
Do you think Obama owes them a "Thank You"?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am against Unions getting any bigger. I also agree with the intimidation that could take place etc. I think Obama owes alot of people and we will see him trying to pay them all back.

Answer by gemgem at 11:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Did you see where she specifically asked to discuss the issue off camera in private. WTH is that all about? She was too stupid to ask to discuss it in private, In Private, how dumb.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• YES! But the fricken Politicians Don't get it. WTF?

As a business owner this concerns me deeply. I forsee more business going under if this happens as planned. All for paying back the Union for votes, imo.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Unions served a purpose but it is becoming a smaller and smaller one in today's world.

I have lived under the threat of a strike for a year and half now - and my hubby is not in a union. Last Christmas, we kept things very small because of the writer's strike. When our daughter's birthday came around in the summer, we kept things very small because the Screen Actors Guild was talking about striking. When this Christmas came around, we kept things very small because SAG is STILL talking about striking.

Sure, I'm all for just-compensation. But the writer's strike put lots of small businesses under, really harmed the overall LA economy, and closed down the business my husband works for for 3 months - three months we went without pay. The union came out fine. The studios came out fine. It was the "collateral businesses" that were harmed. I'm sick of the "gimme" attitude that ends up harming everyone else.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• NO this country does not need more unions. YES I think that they are in cahoots with one another, one of the ways that Obama bought his Presidency. Now he has to apease ALL the special interest groups and all that he promised this and that to.......that old saying "you can please some of the people some of the time, you can't please all of the people all of the time", NObama forgot about that! lol NObama owes so many special interest groups thank-yous that the reason he is campaigning for the NEXT prez race is because he'll need those years also to write all the thank you cards!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I grew up in Michigan, the auto workers union was a good thing in its onset, but like with anything else, good intentions go very bad when money is involved. Greedy greedy and that isn't what the unions were initially for.

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• No, I don't think we need more unions. I believe the unions had a heavy hand in the crumbling of the Big 3.

Do I believe the unions and Dem leaders have an agenda beyond the greater good for our country, YES, I do.  But I am anti-union anyhow. 

Do I think that Obama owes the Unions for their help?  Holy hell, Yes.  and it will cost us all.

As for what it takes for a business / industry to go union with this Act, it is 50% + 1.  So if a business has 500 employees and 251 sign, BAM!  They are now union.  The other 249 may have NO IDEA what is going on.  I guess if you want to get technical, that is 'free of choice', but it isn't a good thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I find it funny that none of the Obama-ites on CM aren't answering this question, but are answering other questions. I think Unions are BAD for the USA. We don't need them now. They are a huge reason for the demise of the Steel Industry, Auto Industry, and Airline Industry. I am against this and any liberal who is for it, is drinking too much Liberal Koolaid
    Anonymous

• blessed5x : I agree with you. Growing up in Ohio and watching my dad struggle with unions at GM. Unions of today are Greedy Greedy Greedy
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Quinn: I guess if you want to get technical, that is 'free of choice', but it isn't a good thing.

Very well put!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009