Eating right amount?

My 4 month old eats 4 oz. every 3 hours. Does it seem like he should be spreading this out and increasing it by now? My friend has a baby the same age and he eats 8 oz. every 4 hours! My baby will not eat any more than 4 oz. at a time and is hungry 3 hours later! This is getting hard at night!

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:43 AM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried to mix cereal in for the bed time bottle? It helped my daughter out and she would sleep through the night after about a week of doing that! Was your baby fullterm? My daughter was a preemie and ate 4 oz. until she was like 6 months. we finally got her to 8 oz. now and eating regular food. I would try the cereal though. the oatmeal and mixed grain seem to work the best. it may take some time for your baby to get used to it so dont get discouraged.
    izzismom08

Answer by izzismom08 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• DO NOT mix cereal in the milk..
    gosh, why do so many women still recommend that?! every smart pediatrician tells you NO(!!). cereals are for a spoon and not a bottle.

anyways...

if you think your little one is not getting stuffed enough then if you are breastfeeding, then buy some formula. at night u mix some formula in the breastmilk and feed it with the bottle.

if you feed formula already then just make it thicker, and your little boy will sleep a little longer ;)

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Feed on demand. If that's what your baby takes, then that's what your baby takes. Do NOT mix the formula thicker!!! There is a reason the instructions are what they are for mixing!

My boys at 8oz every 2 hours starting at 6 weeks and going until they started food...table foods. Every baby will eat a different amount. You don't always eat the same amount as someone else in the restaurant, do you? What about the guy at the buffet who goes up and eats 5 platefuls of food? Do you eat that much? (okay, maybe you're like me and you could LOL but you get the idea)

If she is gaining weight and growing, following her "curve" on the charts...she's FINE. You cannot judge a baby's appetite based on another baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009