Now she wont keep ANYTHING down.

I posted a ? about my 5 day old daughter not keeping breastmilk down. So I started to just give her formula (Shoot me k its the only thing she would eat) But now she isnt keeping it down either. I called the DR as soon as I woke up this morning but they couldnt give me an appt til almost 3 this afternoon. Do you have any ideas as to why she isnt keeping food down?

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 12:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would maybe take her to the ER just incase something is wrong, Maybe some kind of stamach buig, because its wierd tehy normally dont spit up breastmilk. My daughter did that when she was about 1 months old because she had sever heartburn. theyres a name for it but i cant remember it runs in my husbands side of the family. maybe you ate something that didnt agree with her belly when she drank the breast milk, i had to stay away from certain foods when i breast fed. hope this helps. Good Luck :o)
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It could be a stomach bug, it could be reflux to some degree....you're going to see the doctor today, she'll be fine until three. No need for the ER unless she becomes drastically lethargic, develops a very high fever and/or is dehydrated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I would try some plain pedialyte. If she doesn't keep that down I would call your doctor again and see if they still want her to be seen in clinic or if you should go to an ER.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She definitely needs to see the doctor. It sounds like reflux to me, sorry to say. Hopefully it's just a stomach bug instead, then it'll be over sooner. My son didn't keep much down until 8 months. If it is reflux, the trick is to keep her upright (which is hard at that age, unless you hold her nonstop), and very small, very frequent feedings. For me, breastfeeding didn't work because the milk came out of my nipples too fast, making him gulp air with it. I ended up pumping and bottlefeeding. Oh, also, reflux babies are usually very sensitive to dairy. So it would be a good idea to remove all dairy from your diet. Good luck. If this is reflux, you could be in for a long, hard, 6 months to a year, or even more.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I agree with PP about the pedialyte and don't feel bad about giving your daughter formula its doesn't hurt them at all and with my kids they did better on formula than on breastmilk. Good Luck
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 12:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my first had reflux. He was on meds for 3m and it took me 1 1/2 to feed him each feeding. when I give her a bottle she will only eat an ounce anyway. She wont eat much. I dont know I really hope its not reflux. But we will see.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• she can have pedialyte this young? I didnt know that I will have to get some.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my daughter had acid reflux when she was an infant, and it did scare me alot, but i gave her pedialyte and soy milk, she is maybe lactose intolarant , but she is hungry and cant keep it down, bless her heart. Mine used to throw up every time she finished a bottle, it would just gush out toward the wall, everywhere, I would wash crib sheets like a revolving door, I was exhausted, wasnt her fault. I got the doctor to prescribe soy milk and I got assistance for it, because it is higher price than the other. It fixed her problem and we ALL slept happily ever after. good luck
    rockingrobin

Answer by rockingrobin at 1:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009