Need Help with Stuffy Nose

My daughter's nose usually gets stuffy now that it's winter. I have to use the suction bulb to clear it when it gets too unbearable for her, but she HATES the suction bulb. Very frequently when I clean out her nose I find that she has very, very hard dried boogies that really clog up her nostrils. I recently bought the "little noses" drops & have been trying to use that instead of the bulb, but she seems to hate that just as much, if not more. She literally trys to fight me off when I want to clear her nose. Is there something other than drops or the bulb that I can get for her? I've tried sitting in the bthrm while the shower steams, but when it's that clogged, the steam doesn't help too much. Any suggestions? Thx!

MyLittleMunchie

Asked by MyLittleMunchie at 12:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As far as the dried stuff is concerned try giving him a bath first. It loosens everything up and sometimes it will come right out if you press the nostrils

MandiLynn

Answer by MandiLynn at 12:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son is a fighter too! I don't have any good suggestions for clearing her up, but as far as the fighting goes, we've turned wiping his nose into a game. If I get him laughing, and use a warm wet washcloth, he'll let me wipe his nose every hour or so before they get hard and gross. One quick swipe while making a funny noise does the trick. Obviously this only works when he has minor sniffles, but it is better than a constant battle! On particularly bad days that require more frequent wipes, it works better if I give him a damp paper towel and let him "wipe" Mommy's nose back.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son has allergies and gets stuffy in the winter as well. we have a cool mist humidifier that we use every night. works really well.
    michiganmommy11

Answer by michiganmommy11 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I know how it is b/c my girl fights me off too. I hate the scared look on her face she gets when i get the aspirator up her nose and really suck out stuff, it's like she doesn't know why mommy is doing that to her! But, I think whatever you do when you try to get the really clogged up stuff out they won't like it. Just try to make it a game like "risonski" said or just do what you have to do to make your little girl breath better. I use the Saline spray in her nose if it isn't really stuffy, and the humidifier at night. But sucking it out is the best thing you can do, I think.
    nrth2sth05

Answer by nrth2sth05 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• a humidifier will keep things moist in your child's room. That would be a good way to start.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Thank you all - great ideas. I'm going to try the bath & the wipe game. We have a humidifer & it's on every night, but I really don't think it helps. Last night after giving up on the aspirator, I used the drops. She was so upset & for the rest of the night proceeded to poke at my nose (LOL) - so maybe the wipe game will work well.
    MyLittleMunchie

Answer by MyLittleMunchie at 1:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009