Swallowing Toothpaste

Been brushing my daughter's teeth lately using the non-floride children's toothpaste (she's 15mths). How can I teach her to spit the paste out & rinse when done? Since it's non-floride toothpaste, it's safe to swallow, but I'd like to teach her the right way so that it's not a problem in the future. Is she still too young yet?

MyLittleMunchie

Asked by MyLittleMunchie at 12:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well every kid is different. My son is 2 and I'm still having a hard time teaching him. He will spit out a little but swallow the rest. About a week ago I gave him a cup of water and told him we were going to play a game. So I told him as soon as you put the water in your mouth spit it out. Well it has been working so far. He seems to be spiting out a lot better. Also try making your daughter spit out a lot while she is brushing. Every few seconds tell her "spit" she will think its funny but will learn at the same time. Good luck, hope this helps.
    DianaT.

Answer by DianaT. at 12:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well I'm no expert but with my grandchildren it was easiest to make spitting fun (yes I know we shouldn't be promoting spitting but whatever works) I personally don't use toothpaste, we use just plain baking soda so as not to teach them that it's good for you cause it isn't. It is full of asparatame or sugar. Just my opinion, no offense intended. Non-flouride is okay unfortunately there is already to much flouride in the tap water you don't need to consume anymore through your toothpaste as it actually causes your teeth to be brittle.
    sassy_grammy

Answer by sassy_grammy at 12:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my DD is 18months. she still doesnt know how to spit it out... i will brush my teeth same time when we brush hers. and i show her how sto spit it out. she will spit, but after she swallowed the toothpaste. haha

i will put only a tiny little bit of toothpaste on my daughters toothbrush. i asked my ped about it already and she said it wont harm her when she swallows it. its all good until she doesnt eat the whole pack. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son is 16 months, and for now we're just using water when we brush his teeth. We tried toothpaste but he just sucks it off until the flavor is gone, and we can't get his teeth even semi-brushed. I think at this age it is more about getting them into the routine and habit of brushing teeth, and if we're lucky, we get the mouth a little cleaner. Once he's at a point where he'll either let us brush his entire mouth, or he does it himself, we'll add in toothpaste and worry about spitting and all that... probably closer to 24 months...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I've been brushing her teeth without toothpaste for a few months now, but at the 15mth wellness appt. the pedi told me to start using toothpaste. I think since we started brushing a few mths ago & it helped relieve some teething pain, she lets me brush her teeth without sucking on the brush, but she hasn't gotten the concept of spitting out yet. I'll try making it a game with her & see how that works - I just hope she doesn't start spitting milk & everything else out. :) Thanks everyone!
    MyLittleMunchie

Answer by MyLittleMunchie at 12:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Brush your teeth at the same time. They copy what they see....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She's too young. She'll see you brushing yours that way and will learn to spit. From everything I've read, she'll need to safe toothpaste until about 4.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I also have a 15 month old, and I dont think he would get the concept of spitting yet either. I would wait a little longer. Of course, every baby is different and if you think she is ready to, go ahead and start the process. At this point, I am lucky if I can get my son to open wide enough to even get his back molars! ha!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009