Is a regular dentist suppose to pull a tooth thats in the sinus cavity?

my husband had a wisdom tooth pulled feb. last year and ended up haveing serious sinus problems afterwards which he ended up haveing to have sinus surgery and he still not completly better, just recently found out that the tooth was in his sinus cavity the dentist never told him this before they pulled it.just wondering if this is normal procedure?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2012 in Health

• my general dentist does wisdom teeth, I took my daughter to a primary dentist who does it as well. I guess it depends on their experience.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• I had to go to an oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth pulled. Sounds like that dentist was in way over his head ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• I went to an oral surgeon when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I, too, had one in the sinus cavity.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• A 'regular' dentist can pull wisdom teeth. Normally I would think they would do an exray first.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• i'm not asking if a regular dentist can pull wisdom teeth.i'm asking if they are suppose to pull a tooth thats in the sinus cavity?and xray were takin so they would have known it was in the sinus cavity.
    kb24

Comment by kb24 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• I had that happen with one of mine and was referred to an oral surgeon to pull my wisdom teeth. I can't say yes or no because I don't know your husband's dentist scope of practice. I know mine showed my father and I the X-rays and he said he couldn't do it and that I had to see an oral surgeon.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2012

• I would be going to an oral surgeon, NOT a regular dentist. The regular dentists in my area do NOT pull wisdom teeth, they all refer to an oral surgeon. I would also think an ENT would need to do a surgery in the sinus cavity. That is not something a dentist or oral surgeon would be knowledgable to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2012