Is my son the ONLY 1 year old not eating table foods?

Gage will be one on the 24th of this month. So far, the only table foods he will eat is fish, macaroni, and little pieces of a roll or biscuit. He just doesn't seem to like many things! I'm still giving him formula & won't even begin introducing whole milk until he starts eating more table foods, since I know the formula is making up for the nutrients he ISN'T getting from "real" foods. Any suggestions for foods that he would be more likely to eat? What did you start your children off with? Any other 1 year olds that aren't eating many table foods?

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 12:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try cereals and just about anything you can think of. I'm having an obstacle with my son too. He's 7 1/2 months already and still eating at night. I want to wean him off the bottle by one. He eats plenty of foods fortunately but I think every mother has an obstacle when it comes to weaning. Don't feel too bad about it. There's a formula by enfamil that you can put in a sippy cup. Its for children up to two.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We started off by giving our boys what we were eating....they seemed more interested in our plates, so for a while I actually put some on my plate cut up specifically for them. When we sat down to eat, I waited until they showed interest then scraped their food onto their plate and put it in front of them. Worked for us.....

There are other toddlers not eating table foods. I'm not personally related to any of them...LOL...but I know there are some. Some of my friends had trouble getting their toddlers to eat table foods, too. (my guys were totally on table foods at 9months the little pigs!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You can put ANY formula in a sippy cup...it doesn't have to be the toddler formula. The toddler formulas are money making schemes to get moms to spend more money...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I thought it was different. It says its more like "whole milk" but who knows. All I know is I want my son off the bottle by one year of age myself.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My DD is having the same issue. She turned one on the 8thof this monthand will not eat table food. She will take a bit or two but that is it. I wrote a post like this and someone told me to mix the table food into her cereal. I tried it this morning and she ate it. It was eggs mixed with oatmeal. Sound gross but she ate it. I will keep trying and in time I guess she will finally eat table food. Good luck and if you find something that works please let me know.

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 12:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Introduce a sippy cup now...and when he takes to it, get rid of the bottles! We had our boys off bottles at 6 months! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My son will be one on the 30th. He is allergic to eggs and our doc said to do soy instead of milk because he has eczema and more likely to have allergies. It is kind of hard to decide what to give him without milk or eggs. One thing I have been giving him lately that he loves is little pieces of turkey. I give him lots of Cherios too. I also give him steamed carrots and peas which is kinda hard to get him to eat because he prefers other things. When he went out to eat brunch the other day we gave him some blueberry muffin peices which he really liked. Chunks of fruit, stuff like that. Also, instead of milk for now we are using a formula that is make specifically for toddlers and babies over one. It has all the nutrients that milk has and also the DHA and ARA.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my daughter has always liked oatmeal, scrambled eggs, vegetarian vegetable soup, chicken and rice or stars soup, the little bowls of spagetti or mini raviolis.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• you might want to be careful when introducing eggs if you haven't given them to him yet because there are lots of babies that are allergic to eggs. I'm just saying this because my son had a severe allergic reaction to them and it was really scary. Your son most likely won't be but, I would just make sure that someone else is there too when you give them for the first time.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My daughter was off of formula & bottles by 1. Start cutting the formula in half with milk. If he's filling up on formula, then why try new foods? Will he eat toddler & baby foods? Try cooked veggies, dry cereal, soup
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009