Stem cell research...

I noticed that there are some people who are against stem cell research and I just wonder what the reasons for being against it are? I, personally, am for it and I hold no issue with anyone who is not but if you are against it can I ask why?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 12:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They wouldn't need to get pregnant to create stem cells to use for a sick family member. They could create embryos in a lab.

I donated my blasties to science for stem cell research. They will be used for a study on diabetes.

Any medical study must be approved by the FDA and follow their rules. I know this because there is a cerebral study in progress using cord blood. My son could not participate because they do not have FDA approval to use donated stem sells, even from a sibling. We did not save his cord blood because we were told that twins could use each others stem cells.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I strongly support stem cell research. Many of the 'christian right' believe that approving stem cell research will lead to immoral activity. Including more abortions, uses of cord blood from aborted fetuses etc. It's real simple to me..you approve stem cell and disapprove any use of aborted remains period.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with stem cells that are obtained from umbilical cords from babies that have been delivered. I have a problem with government paying for abortions and using the remains for medical research. If a woman is paying for her abortion and decides to donate her embryonic remains for research, her choice. Government paying for it would likely start an ethical issue of women getting pregnant to be paid for an abortion.
    Anonymous

• Where do the stem cells come from? Isn't it aborted babies?

I will be all for stem cell research when they find another source for getting them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It's not stem cell research I am against, it is some of the ways they obtain the stem cells and where they come from.
    Anonymous

• You can get the cells from cord blood period. It doesn't have to come from an aborted fetus. On the television show, "The Doctors" on WKYC, they also said that they could get the cells from the fat from liposuction.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Where do stem cells come from? Stem cells for therapeutic use can be obtained from three potential sources: Embryonic Certain Adult Tissues Umbilical Cord Blood here is a website to help you understand:

http://vescell.com/stem-cell-information.php

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• They claim that embryonic stem cells are the most needed because they can vitually grow / repair anything. The problem is, it has to come from the embryo. That means abortion. I am pro-choice, but government has to be very careful how they handle these things. It is an ethical issue that has a faint line that can be crossed. They can also use stem cells from the umbilical cords of babies carried to term, but those aren't as easy to use and don't have the same capabilites as embryonic stem cells.
    Anonymous

• I am all for it. Imagine the possibilities...

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I am for it except when they use aborted fetuses.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009