Jesus resurrection

The other thread asked what is a Christian and many answered anyone who believes in Christ. I started thinking about in relations to other religions. I would like to take it one step further and say a Christian not only believes in Christ (meaning puts their eternal fate in his hands alone) but also believes in his resurrection.
In historical biblical Christianity one is saved/transformed by receiving (receiving Christ alone). In other religions one basically saves himself and transforms himself by doing something. Without the resurrection our faith is in vain.
Paul emphasises the importance of the resurrection in I Corinthians 15:14-15 (will post below) Jesus death, burial and resurrection are foundational to Christianity. Without that, what's left? (speaking in terms of our Christianity)

Thoughts?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 4:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I Corinthians 15:14-15

"Now, let me ask you something profound yet troubling. If you became believers because you trusted the proclamation that Christ is alive, risen from the dead, how can you let people say that there is no such thing as a resurrection? If there's no resurrection, there's no living Christ. And face it—if there's no resurrection for Christ, everything we've told you is smoke and mirrors, and everything you've staked your life on is smoke and mirrors. Not only that, but we would be guilty of telling a string of barefaced lies about God, all these affidavits we passed on to you verifying that God raised up Christ—sheer fabrications, if there's no resurrection."
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 4:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• one more then I'm done and will others answer lol

"The blood of Jesus is the foundation of redemption. Jesus Christ died on the cross, shedding His blood, (and was then resurrected) as the only acceptable payment for our sins. The disciple Peter wrote in 1 Peter 1:18-19, “For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver. He paid for you with the precious lifeblood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God.”

We do not and cannot earn salvation by keeping the Old Testament Law or by simply being a good person. We will fail every time; it is in our nature to sin. It is only through God sacrificing His Son Jesus in our place, that we can acquire complete forgiveness. We can all attain this by accepting Jesus as our Savior, and accepting that He shed His blood to atone for the sins of all who repent."

http://www.allaboutjesusc
    pwfaith

• James 2:18&19
    18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
    Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

There's more to being Christian than just believing in the truth. Demons know the truth, "and shudder". I think a huge part of being Christian is love. Loving God and others the way that God loves us.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• For instance, a strong Christian, to me, is someone who is continully nuturing a growing relationship with Jesus.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree. A Christian is someone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour, and he became your Saviour by sacrificing himself on the cross.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• pwfaith, I respect you and your views. However, I do not believe in the literal resurrection of Christ. My reasons are long, but are summed up here http://www.2think.org/hundredsheep/bible/library/myth.shtml (also long)

If you you're interested, read, if not, peace. It is okay for good people to disagree!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I would say that being Christian means that you have accepted Christ as Lord and saviour and that he is the Son of God.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I will give it a read when I have time later lawmom, thanks!

My point is more with those who consider themselves Christians, kwim? One should believe in Christ and his resurrection if they claim to be Christians. There are some religions that claim to be Christian b/c they believe in Jesus yet they do not have faith in Jesus alone and do not believe atonement comes from his death and resurrection. According to the scriptures how can they call themselves Christian then?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 5:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Hello, what is a "thread" I believe that was made toward me.
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• huh? lol
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 5:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2008