What age do you stop taking your teen to the "baby" doctor?

My son is 14 going to be 15 in September. We had to change doctors because mine retired (family doctor = does babies to adults). Well I cant find a family doctor in my area so now my kids are seeing a different doctor then my husband and I. My teen doesnt want to see the "baby" doctor anymore. At what age do you start letting them use a normal doctor? He still needs shots for school and college, does an adult doctor give those too?

threeBoysMommy

Asked by threeBoysMommy at 12:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• They can see the pedi up to 18, but if they are uncomfortable going you can change.

Anonymous

• Mine still go and they are 15 & 16. The reason is we changed drs from a baby to a family practice dr and the new dr prescribed medication to my sons and it affected them oddly. I ended up going back to the pediatrician and found out the medication was for adults and didnt take into account adolescent development. After that we went back to the baby dr lol. They still go. I figure until they ARE adults they can go there. I dont want them being given wrong meds.

Answer by gemgem at 12:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• When mine hit 13 they started being seen in the adolescent clinic. It was right next to Peds..but only for teens 13-18

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Some insurance companies require the use of a pediatritian up until age 21. I think it's stupid. But you would have to talk to your insurance carrier. Mine will not allow my children to see a "family" doctor until they are over 21.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My teen still goes to the pedi. Hes wonderful and does her physical for sports every year. If they are not capable of handling their needs then find a new doc. Check with your insurance first though. They are not baby doctors at all. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My daughter has been seeing a Family Practioner her whole life - her doctor when she was a baby had a secondary specialty in Pediatrics. When she got old enough to need gyn I had changed jobs and therefore insurance that year so I found a female Family practitioner for both of us.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 10:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My boys are 15, 13 and they both see a ped. I asked my ped at what age did I need to get another doc., he said 18. I would check with you're insurance, then the doc. u have now. I hope everything works out for you, you're family.
    unicornnwhite

Answer by unicornnwhite at 11:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Hi,
    When my daughter turned 12 she no longer wanted to go to her pediatrician even though she's been going there ever since she was born; of course, I could understand, so I found a wonderful female (family) doctor. And even though both she (the doctor) practices with her husband (also a doctor) our son (18) wants to stay with the pediatrician for now.
    sharebearmomof2

Answer by sharebearmomof2 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009