What do I do about the sudden change in my 9 year old?

My 9 yr old daughter is generally a very sweet child, with occasional smart mouth here and there. She is shorter for her age, very petite build. There is a girl at school, who last year had Maddy in tears more often than not by picking on her Suddenly Maddy and this girl have decided to become friends. Ughhh... It was to my relief that this little girl was no longer making Maddy cry however, since she has been friends with her she has completely changed into a little girl with a bad attitude, swears, sneaking, lying, picks on other kids and just hit me with she doesn't believe in God. ! The girl owns an I-phone, wears little designer clothes and I have been told by the other kids in our neighborhood that she acts like she is the goddess of the school and tell me this girl is bad news What do I do? I can't keep her away from her at school, Ive tried to discuss this with Maddy, but we are going nowhere fast

jamiehenry

Asked by jamiehenry at 12:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Awww peer pressure and popularity LOL. I would do what my mom did to me when I started cheer leading and hanging around those types. Tell her she can be friends with her but that she isnt going to treat you the way she treats her friends. Tell her I am not your friend at school and you will not disrespect me. You will treat me like I am your mother not some snot nosed kid you go to school with. If you cant do that then I will start limiting what you can do, who you can do it with, and start taking things away.

Answer by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I SO AGREE WITH THE PRIOR COMMENT!

Answer by older at 2:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• gemgem gives wise advice. I say listen to her.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Huh, huh, gemgem is right and say it like you mean it. Be honest and upfront.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• "Lying, sneaking, and picking on other kids" are big things in my book. I would start limiting and taking away things now. Ever see the movie "Thirteen" ? (if you haven't - DO!!!) It could get worse if you just limit it to her acting better towards you. Nip it in the bud now. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2009