how can we get through to him?

His father and I have been together for about 4yrs. We are not married. I have even talked to my family and ask them what to do and they told me they would of done the same things. They are baffled to!!! We have taken his toys, things that are most important from him. But he told us so what!!!!! He's been to numerous doctors and therapist. His face has swollen up because of bad teeth but still will not brush. He's had several of his bad teeth pulled. I thought maybe a couple of trips to the dentist would make him change his ways but it dont. I'm kinda on my own with this because his dad says he's a boy and thats how boys are..............I get calls from his school at least 3 times a month over his behavior and attitude. He talks with someone at school 2times a week. But there are still no changes. His teacher at last conference said he does not apply himself. Says he will not try to do things on his own.

frustrated1972

Asked by frustrated1972 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Where is his biomom? What kind of relationship does he have with her? If not a good one or seeing her that can add to problems in behavior and school. Self esteem, childhood development etc are all tied to both biological parents. I would start there. If he has a relationship with her I would encourage her involvement and more time with her. She can become his ally so to speak but help you get through to him.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• This is very expensive advice, but do a google search for Outward Bound-I hope thats what its still called.
    I was a troubled preteen/teen and I went to a 30 day camp at this place and it really did change my attitude. I went to the one in MN.
    I HIGHLY recommend this camp. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• ditto to gemgem's advice

Answer by admckenzie at 3:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009