steroid injection for lung development?

Has anyone had the steroid injection for the babies lung development? If so, do you think it actually worked? What were the side effects. I had the first round yesterday and I go back today at noon to have the other injection. Just curious.

JD08

Asked by JD08 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ive had it done with both of my babies the shot hurt but with me i didn't have any side effects that i know of. But i don't think they would give it to you if it didn't work. Did you dr tell you why he is giving it to you?
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I just reached 33 weeks and I am already dilated 2cm with 75 effaced and having minimal contractions. The contractions are not regular and are not intense, but did register on the monitors So, just out of precaution they gave me the steroid injection and did not stop the contractions. They found out I have an infection that is being treated with antibiotics. The little guy will most likely be born soon. At home on bed rest, again, but have to go to the doctor everyday this week to be monitored.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I had the steroids at 30 weeks due to preterm labor. At almost 37 weeks they tested for lung maturity and he was only an 8 and needed to be 45. Dr said it wasn't effective to do "booster" so they don't do it anymore. The only side effect I had was my blood sugar ran a little high for a couple days (i have GD)
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 1:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009