Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

important question

Can a ex husband get full custody of his child because the wife was a SAHM? What makes a mother unfit?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • It's not that she's unfit. It's that he is more capable of offering the child a stable home. If she can show that she has a job and childcare and is able to care for her child and raise it in a stable home he usually doesn't get custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • that seems unfair though because i stayed home. I could easly work its just he made the money and I take care of the baby. He also has some issues so he couldnt take care of a child without the help of his parents if he was alone

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • I'm a SAHM, you mean to tell me if I ever divorced my husband HE would get custody of our children??

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • As a SAHM he needs to provide you with enough child support to be able to provide for your children. Just bc you choose to be a loving nurturing mother to your children instead of putting them in day care does not make you unfit. If you have been married to him long enough he also owes you spousal support.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • No, women usually always get custody because they do more with and for the children..UNLESS you are a POS mom and your EX can prove it.

    Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • no one gets full custody of a child. you only get this if the other doesn't care and agrees to it. i got it cause my husband didn't show up to our divorce hearing and i requested it in the paper work. what will happen is you both get shared custody but you most likely will get primary parent status which means the kids live with you and he would get standard visitation. i was a SAHM. so just cause you have no money doesn't mean you won't get the kids. they only use the income to figure out the amount of child support he pays and you get. he will pay 100% of it based on his total income. i would suggest that you moved back home with parents and get a job and get some help from state assistance as in food stamps and healthcare. i would also ask that he provide that but that doesn't always happen. my ex rarely provides health care so i have it.

    Answer by melody77 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

  • the state requires the father to supply health care, if you provide it, the state gets it re-embersed to you by deducting it from his paycheck...I know, i'm having it done..I have paid it for 10 yrs..he can start paying it to me included in the updated child-support.

    Answer by rockingrobin at 1:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.