I know I am going to strike a nerve with some people but honestly...

Ok so I am so irritated that we live in AMERICA a place where ENGLISH is the main language and yet we have to push one for english!!! This is ridiculous. I would like to see how Spain or Puerto Rico would feel if we decided to go there and demand they speak english. I have nothing against people coming to America to better themselves or their families but be considerate to those who live here! Do you realize soon that it is going to be us who has their children translate to spanish if this doesn't soon stop. Also, I don't get if they are so proud of their country (they hang their flag in everything) then why be here? Go back if you are that proud that you cant hang and American flag instead. We should not have to push one to speak our own language nor should every job hiring now require you to be bilingual! Does anyone else get annoyed by this? Its just food for thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. There use to be so many disney shows for kids that at one time were english and now they converted to spanish. We are basically a minority in our own country and its pretty damn sad if you ask me. Call it racist if you will.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 12:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I completely agree that if you are expecting to become a citizen of this country that you should be able to speak English. It should be declared our national language.
    Mommyto1DD

Answer by Mommyto1DD at 12:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Like, OMG, you have to push 1 for English. You poor poor put upon little darling. The effort must be exhausting. I don't know how you do it.
    Anonymous

• Most of the world speaks English as a second language and they don't seem to be complaining...but I suppose they aren't as good as you. Sorry, but get over yourself.
    Anonymous

• i feel you. It drives me crazy i dont have a problem with others wanting to be here but your right if we went down to mexico or any other country and were pretty much taking over and demanded they speak english they wouldnt like it.
    Anonymous

• I agree
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• eye rolling

Bilingual is usually referred to as a "plus," not a requirement. 

Many immigrants move here to get their children better education - that means their children will speak English, at least.  There is no need for them to give up their heritage when they come here.  How would you like it if someone told you you couldhang your Irish/German/"whatever your family is" flag? 

Calm down and take a breath.  This is nothing to freak out over.

Anonymous

• International pilots have to know English. Maybe we should take a lesson from them. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Why are we a nation full of people willing to accomodate others to the detriment of ourselves?
    Anonymous

• I feel the same way you do on this.People who come here to live, should have to learn english to become us citizens.Or in jobs to. If you don't speak english you don't get the job.

Answer by louise2 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Wow just wow is all I can say. My grandparents were immigrants who came to this country legally and I still have pride in their country and where they came from. I speak both english AND spanish as do my children. You can have pride in your country and unless youre native american then guess what? You arent from here either. Second, obviously you have never been to another country because most of them DO speak English. In fact did you know America is one of the only countries that doesnt have bilingual citizens? Mexicans and Spaniards can speak english and spanish most of the time, Europeans speak MANY languages. I have a Dutch friend who speaks english, spanish, dutch, and french. Talk about prejudice and closed minded.

Answer by gemgem at 12:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009