Acid Reflux?

Can anyone help me? The docs keep changing my baby's formula! And first he had colic, then they checked him for pyloric stenosis, and not he as acid reflux? Can anyone help me with ways to calm or what they had to do to help there situation??

mommy2b421

Asked by mommy2b421 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's where on Nutramagin. Its an Enfamil product. It helped greatly. You can get it at Walgreen's. They also where on liquid zantac. That was a prescription.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• we had to use a soy based formula and he had to take medicine like 2 times a day and even then it didnt really help but they do usually out grow it. Try not laying him down flat after feeding him for atleast a half hour.
    Anonymous

• I know it is frustrating!!!! I had to change my daughters formula 7 times! and she still spit up all over the place EVERY time she ate! They told me to put cereal in her bottles so i did so thick that it was like a malt milkshake LOL! and she still spit up sometimes. I finally got the craps of it and took her to see a gastrointologist (sp) and he said that her belly was not empting the way it should so he put her on raglen. She got that 4 times a day a 1/2 hour before she ate. That worked for like two weeks and then she went right back to spiting up. They did an upper GI test and found out that she did have acid reflux! so she was taking medicne for no reason because they didnt want to test her until i DEMANDED it!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• cont from above..Anyways at 6 months we tried a 4oz bottle of just plain milk and to our surprise she didnt spit any of it up! So we over the course of the next month we changed her from formula to milk, and nothing!!!! She doesnt spit up anymore! The doctor said if she keeps it down then keep her on it. And that was my thought if she keeps it in her that is better than her spitting everything up. So maybe if he is atleast 6 months try it. If not take a deep breath and remember your not alone. And finding the right formula does take time! Sorry so long!
    babymaddy

• That reminds me... I also went to straight milk at about 8-9 months. I couldn't handle it any more. Both my twins had it, and I'm not ashamed to say it was the worst 8 months of my life.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 12:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Acid reflux sucks. My son had it bad until about 8 months, now he's 14 months and he's still a bit of a spitter. For reflux, breastmilk is still best, but many babies take it better from a bottle, because you can use a slow flow nipple, some women's nipples (like mine), are more medium to fast flow. Soy formula is better than milk-based. Nutramigen is even better, but VERY expensive. None of them worked for my son, and pumping exclusively my milk dried up at 4 months, and our insurance didn't cover the prescription formulas, which can be up to 1000 dollars a month, so there was no way we could do that. I ended up making him a homemade formula from goat's milk (on a doctor's recipe), which he started on at 4 months. Amazingly, he kept that down ok, as long as he got it in small amounts, frequently. I must have tried about 12 different formulas before we did that, though. You just have to find what works.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The only good thing is that it will go away. My 4 year old had acid reflux so bad it was horrible, it would feel like there was nothing I could do. The doctor kept changing her formula nothing worked, FINALLY another mother told me to go to Wal-Mart and get her some gas drops and switch to the playtex drop-in bottles. Believe it or not , IT WORKED almost immediately! Since then I have had a couple of friends who have had the same problem so far it was worked for 2 out of the 3. Just try it, the gas drops will do not harm . Again you can get baby gas drops at your local store, in the baby isle. And stop buying all the expensive bottles, I was spending so much money on top pf the line baby bottles...just switch to the drop-ins and take all the air out before you feed baby. I really hope this works for you because I know how fustrating it can be. Good Luck!
    bellasmommy09

Answer by bellasmommy09 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• by four months, my dd was getting rice cereal in her formula and taking prevacid and reglan. her reflux was extremely bad. she would spit up and get choked to the point of not breathing multiple times a day. the medicine made her stop screaming and did help some with the spitting up/choking--i am so thankful that her pediatrician took the situation seriously and gave her the medicine. i didn't really want to put her on meds, but i was honestly scared for her life the way she'd get so choked on the spit up. she outgrew the reflux around 11 months. i know it's hard...just keep your chin up and know that it will end. and if it's really bad and you can't get the doc to take it seriously, video tape it and show the doc the tape.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2009