How do I get my soon to be 4 yr old to stop sucking her thumb?????

She has been a thumb sucker since she was 1. Our dentist would like her to stop since it is messing her bite up.

Asked by issianemmi at 3:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As a grown up thumb sucker, I'll tell you its not easy. It physically relaxes the body. What I do with my own 4 year old thumb sucker is I tell him he can only suck his thumb in bed. Then I send him to bed, if he bulks at my reminders to take it out. Of course he doesn't want to spend the day in bed, so he complies. You may need to substitute the thumb with healthful snacks. I know I'm a grazer. So it helps to have carrot sticks and apple slices around, since it is an oral addiction.

Answer by barrettboys at 5:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I've talked to someone who told me he put tape on his son's thumb. We haven't tried this ... Someone told us children often quit when they go to school and kids say something about it. (I don't know about you - but I would like to spare my child from someone saying something "mean" about it to him ...)

Answer by momoftthreeboys at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• hot

Answer by Amanda2430 at 8:52 PM on May. 6, 2009