When do toddlers start talking ?

my mother in law says that my son who is 14 mths, should be talking alot. he says a couple of words like dada and mama, but not all the time. he screams alot and talks baby talk. i need to know if hes alright with his talking at his age.

Ms.Strack

Asked by Ms.Strack at 4:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 16 months and I was worried about the same thing. I just spoke with his pediatrician recently while where were there and he assured me that my little guys is perfectly "normal" and that he will be soon be talking my ear off...in his own time. I wouldn't worry too much about it yet, but you can always check with your doctor if you need the extra reassurance.
    Denise859

Answer by Denise859 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My daughter is 18 months and she doesn't talk much at all. Dont listen to your MIL if you feel something is worn ask you doctor.I would say he is fine :)
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Boys dont talk as quick as boys!! Dont worry he will talk when he talks!! It is like 2-3 years old you worry if he isnt talking!!
    iluvtoscrap85

Answer by iluvtoscrap85 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Don't listen to your MIL.
    When my baby was 14 months, she was like yours. She had a few words and that was all. I was worried, wondering if she was behind, if there was a problem. She's nearly 2 now and is doing fine. Your little one will talk in good time... 14 months is WAY to early to expect anything except a few words.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My daughter at that age could say over 50 words and she's now 19 months old saying 8 word sentences - for example: I want a snack please mommy thank you. Every Baby is different and will develope in its own time. If your concerned, talk to the babys doctor. Boys are slower then girls as far as learning goes, so I can't really compare since I have girls. Good Luck.
    Anonymous