Is it safe to give a 5 month old....

Can I give my 5 month old those crackers that dissolve quickly? I gave her one and she loved it but is it safe?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she can hold her head up, and move her mouth to swallow it, then yes.
    Anonymous

• All babies develop differently. If your daughter is doing good with them, and is eating other, thicker foods (not just stage one baby food) then I would say yes, its ok, but keep an eye on her. I have found that the ones that say they dissolve quickly tend to break off (if they are the thin ones) and my 8 month old chokes. I prefer the Gerber Biter Biscuits, they are thicker and make more of a mess, but IMO they are safer.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• if she did ok with i say sure go for it. Limited amts at first though so her tummy can get used to it
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 12:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think, as long as you are watching her while she is eating the cracker and make sure she does not bite off any big pieces that she could choke on then sure its safe, But you have to pay close attention.
    LBZinski

Answer by LBZinski at 12:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Definitely don't leave her alone for a second eating it. But if she handles it ok, it should be fine.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It is best for a baby to be on milk/formula alone until six months. Their digestive tract is not fully developed.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 1:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I agree with LBZinski.. =)
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 1:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I think so.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• it is better to have just breastmilk or formula for the 1st 6 months. I am sure it taste good to her but I would wait a bit more.If you decide to give it to her than I would only put a small piece ata time and watch her like a hawk.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• She may not choke, but it isn't healthy for hear, nutrition-wise. I personally don't believe in giving wheat to babies that young (well, solid food at all until 6 months) because of the attendant allergy issues.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009