• In the Spotlight:

my baby hates tummy time

My 5 month old has always hated tummy time but now that she can roll (only front to back) she refuses to stay on her stomach. Will she have a hard time learning to crawl?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eventually they all learn to walk... I wouldn't sweat that end of the small stuff kwim? Get down and play with her... But if she rolls, I wouldn't stress it.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 12:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Both of my boys refused to do tummy time no matter what I did. Neither of them ever really crawled, but they both had their own creative little versions of scooting across the floor. They both were up walking hands free at 9 months though so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• No, she won't my daughters were both the same way, you have to trick them into having tummy time, like lay your baby on your tummy facing you and play with her, or put her on the floor and then lay down on the floor with her facing her and make fun noises detract her, so she forgets she on her tummy. If nothing like this works don't worry, my girls hated tummy tome and they learned to crawl, when they were ready.
    LBZinski

Answer by LBZinski at 1:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• My oldest absolutely HATED tummy time. He learned to crawl at 18 months. He had already learned to walk around a year. So a little backwards. But around 8 months he was scooting all over the house on his butt. And he could MOTOR that way. It was absolutely amazing how fast he could move in that position. So yeah, if she doesn't have tummy time, she may not learn to crawl, but IMO, what does it really matter? My second couldn't have tummy time until 8 months because he had reflux, he would puke if I laid him on his tummy. But he still learned to crawl around 11 months. You never know.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There is no set rule that says she has to have "tummy time". She will be fine.
    Anonymous

• No, my son had severe GERD and tummy time was actually painful for him-he never missed a milestone, crawling or walking because he didn't do tummy time : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Tummy time is to build up the muscles. Once those muscles are strong enough to roll over, crawling is well on it's way. Don't worry about it. Let her play how she wants at this point. If you don't have one already, consider sometime of baby seat or prop (like a Bumbo or a boppy pillow) - that will help her to sit up and sitting up builds LOTS of muscles.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my LO didn't liek it either, but we started with how ever long he would lay on his tummy tolerating it, not crying or getting fussy and then we would slowly get up to about 10 minuites at a teim before he decided it was enough. we did a lot of tummy to tummy laying I would justr wear a sports bra or my fiance would take his shirt off because they crave they skin to skin warm comfy feeling against their belly...
    Anonymous