How long until my son walks?

My son is 10mos old and has been cruising for a few months now. He recently started standing momentarily and now he's standing alone longer and longer, even trying to turn. How long after standing alone did your children start to walk and take they're first steps?

MattysMommy143

Asked by MattysMommy143 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No worries...My daughter didn't take her first real steps until she was 14 months old. Once she did though, it took about 3 weeks for her to use walking as her main source of getting around, and she hasn't stopped since! You can't really force them to walk, you can only take them by the hands and try to show them how it works. My daughter started pulling herself up on everything and would walk while holding on to the edge of a table or something like that. I used to wonder when she would start to walk too, b/c other babies seemed to be up and running long before her. But they all go at their own pace, and somedays I wish I could go back to when she couldn't run away from me!!! :-D
    nrth2sth05

Answer by nrth2sth05 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• most kids seem to walk between 11 & 13 mo. some learn fast and some cruse around for a long time.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 1:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It could be any moment. It could be another month or two. There is no way to tell. It is all based on how quickly he gains confidence in himself and his sense of balance.

If you want to help him along, play "pass the baby" with another adult. You both sit on the floor a few feet apart. One person holds his hands while he walks to the other person. Then you switch. After a few passes, you scoot a little further apart and have him switch from one person to another part way across. After a few passes, you see if he will take a couple of steps before grabbing the second persons hands.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• The day that my dd stood alone (christmas day :)) was the day she took her first steps.She was 10 months..Our cousins baby is 13 months and standing alone but not walking yet.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 1:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yay! He took his first steps lastnight! thanks for all the answers!
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009