Any suggestions to the easiest way to phase out the middle of the night bottle?

My son is 10 mos old and sometimes still wakes in the middle of the night for a bottle. His dr said he doesn't need a bottle during the night anymore and to cut that bottle out, how do i do this?because he'll cry and cry and i don't know how to calm him without the bottle and i feel bad if he's hungry for one. everytime he wakes he doesn't demand a bottle though sometimes he'll wake up and fall right back asleep with me rocking him.

MattysMommy143

Asked by MattysMommy143 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he fall asleep with a bottle to start the night? it sounds like he's using it as a soothing mechanism and the first step is to help him find another way to soothe himself. :) If he *is* falling asleep at bed time with a bottle, start by weaning him off that. Feed him but don't let him fall asleep. If he starts to get drowsy, stop feeding him and lay him down - still awake. If he cries, get him, calm him, start feeding him again until it's clear he's eating to eat and not soothe. Then lay him down again. Rub his back, play soft music. Eventually you'll be able to put him down awake and he'll get himself to sleep. If he can START the night that way, he can do it at night when he wakes up too. if you want more details on how we used this with my DD just send me a PM.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Throw away all the bottles. That way there is no giving in. I did it with my last 2 kids. I wish I learned that sooner.. It's going to be hard but in a week my kids where sleeping thru the night w/o waking up for a bottle.
    Anonymous

• if he is just waking once, just don't give it to him. do help him get back to sleep. If he wakes more than once take out one bottle at a time.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Give him water instead. Then you don't have to worry about the extra calories, you don't have to worry about his teeth rotting, and he may actually stop waking up since the water is so boring. And yes, he may be very mad that he isn't getting the milk he is in the habit of getting. It's just that - a habit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He's most likely not waking because he's hungry but because he wants to be with you. Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.
    You could also try weaning him: each night the bottle gets smaller and smaller until you reach one oz. Then if he wakes, give him one oz. water (one night only) and put him back down. After that you just let him cry.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i agree with kaycee if you subsitute water for formula he is less likely to wake up for it the next night. because he is not hungry its more of a habbit then anything. my ped told me to do the water thing and it worked
    zimmtobe

Answer by zimmtobe at 3:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2009