Anyone ever heard that Insurance companies dont like for you to own Pit Bull Dogs?

My hubby and I decided to get Homeowners Insurance. The guy told us we would have to pay a fee if we want to keep our pit and sign a waiver so they wont be responsible if he ever bites anyone. I didnt know that my dog had anything to do with homeowners Insurance. Has anyone ever heard of this?

willandbrismom

Asked by willandbrismom at 1:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Sorry asked this twice didnt think it took the first time. oh well
    willandbrismom

Answer by willandbrismom at 1:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes, this is because your dog is listed on the national dangerous dog list. Other breeds include: rottweilers, chows, dobermans and a few other 'aggressive dogs'. I work for a real estate company and we don't rent properties to people if they have one of the listed dogs. This is to protect us from lawsuits. Although I don't agree that it's the breed, it is proven that they are highly dangerous if they become aggressive.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• But what does that have to do with homeowners ins. I thought that was for if someone broke into your house, fire, storm damage the ins company would pay for your things to be replaced. What does me having a pit have anything to do with any of that.
    willandbrismom

Answer by willandbrismom at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes some people have to pay an extra 100 dollars a month for it! They also do it with other breeds such as bulldogs and German Sheps... You wanna know something I have a German Shep. She stays with us because she is my boyfriends partner- Yes she is a police dog and we have to pay extra for her. I think its about as stupid as telling black people they have to pay more to live in a "white" neighborhood
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Your homeowners insurance also covers liability, in case someone is injured on your property. If your dog bites someone they can sue your insurance company. To keep this from happening, the insurance companies try to discourage these breeds by charging more.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• This should be for all breeds in my opinion because you never know when ANY dog will turn on you. My SIL dog (dalmation) will bite in a heartbeat but my poor baby wouldnt harm a flea yet I am the one who has to pay extra.
    willandbrismom

Answer by willandbrismom at 1:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• It definately sucks. I have a mix breed (1/2 rottweiler and 1/2 basset hound, don't ask we don't know how it happened) and everyone thinks he dangerous. He is the colors of a rott. and sounds very viscious, but he is short and long like a bassett, but we still get flack about it! Go figure. My mom has a chihahah and I 'm terrified of that thing. It's spastic and bites everybody but my mom, but she doesn't have to worry about having extra fees on insurance either.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• yes but it's not only pits. most guard dogs and hunting dogs can be excluded in the insurance. a pit can really harm someone when it bites cause they have strong jaws so they have to figure if a dog does bite the damages are higher with a pit or german shepard or rotts with strong dog bites. then the avarage dog. i think it's fair. you do have the option of not having a dog that can have a very harmful bite. they just want to make sure they don't pay a lot out for the risks involved. certain breeds have certain traits which you end up paying for. my friends pit killed their bull dog. she now hates and won't own one. another pit scared the crap out of me is why i would never have one. i do agree any dog can bite with pits or germans though they can really hurt. the pit can have up to 150 pounds of bite pressure. hell thats a lot.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We have 4 American Staffordshire Terriers and 2 are AKC papered. When we bought our home we listed them as their true breed name and even showed pictures. We were not charged anything extra for them. They are the sweetest dogs I have ever seen. It is sad that these dogs have gotten their reputation because of dumb people like Michael Vick and all those others who do not train them correctly nor take care of them correctly. All we were required to do was have a secure fence, they can not be outside even in the backyard if we are not home.
    socal1972

Answer by socal1972 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• melody77:

"Although certain dog breeds such as the Rottweiler and American Pit Bull Terrier have the reputation of having stronger jaws than other breeds, valuable scientific studies showing significant differences in jaw strength among breeds does not exist."

This site makes for interesting reading...

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/PitbullInformation/Urbanlegends.htm
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 12:08 AM on Jan. 14, 2009