Ever heard that Ins companies dont like you to own Pit Bulls?

My hubby and I decided to try and get homeowners Ins for our house instead of just reg Ins. Well the guy from the Ins agency comes out to look at our house. He was happy with all the updates we had done to the house but he wasnt happy about our pool. And then he saw our dog. He says"Is that what I think that Is?" I am like ummm its our dog. We tell him that yes he is a pit bull but very friendly. The man even walks up to him and pets him. Then he tells us that the ins company doesnt like pits that they are on the dangerous breeds list and we will have to pay extra if we want to keep him and we have to sign a paper saying that if the dog bits anybody the ins company is not responsible.I am like WTH. Ok first off what does the dog have to do with home owners ins and secondly NO I am not getting rid of my dog. Has anyone ever heard of this?

willandbrismom

Asked by willandbrismom at 1:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Pets

• sorry asked this twice. I didnt think it went through the first time oh well!!
    willandbrismom

Answer by willandbrismom at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• pit bulls rots boxers any big dogs like that will raise your homeowners or they will drop you if they want. we had that problem about five years ago
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes, this is because your dog is listed on the national dangerous dog list. Other breeds include: rottweilers, chows, dobermans and a few other 'aggressive dogs'. I work for a real estate company and we don't rent properties to people if they have one of the listed dogs. This is to protect us from lawsuits. Although I don't agree that it's the breed, it is proven that they are highly dangerous if they become aggressive.
    Insurance companies put this stipulation in to protect themselves. Anyone can sue over anything, so the possibility of them losing alot of money if your dog bites someone is high. This is why this is happening.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yeah, we have the same problem. Thankfully we found Allstate. We haven't had any problems with them. As long as your dog doesn't have a bite record, it's fine.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yip, pits will raise your home owners insurance and there are also a lot of companies that will not insure you. We have a pit mix and our insurance is more expensive. There are several companies that you can go through that will not look at you owning a pit as a bad thing. Where we live at there are so many pits everyone who owns one has more expensive insurance.

good luck!
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Yes. Have heard of it. My daughter was 2 and almost killed by a pit bull. The insurance had to pay us almost $100,000 for Dr. and hospital bills and plastic surgery in the future. The dog was the sweetest dog. Don't know why she all of a sudden turned, but she did. They have it breed in them to fight. Even if you raise them with love and care. There is always that chance they will just snap, cause like I said that is what they were breed to do.
    Anonymous

• too bad. i have heard that they are super sweet and great with kids despite their bad rep.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 3:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Pits do have a bad rep (and they have it for a reason)! I am sure that there are many Pits out there that are sweet and have never bitten, however I think that even the sweetest Pit can bite for no reason. I know that this is true of any breed, but I think it is more true for the Pit. I've heard of several cases where a "sweet Pit" who was "great with children/people" all of a sudden bitting for NO reason.
    We actually had a Pitbull that was super sweet, we had him since he wa 8wks. He started out great, he was friendly with all people and with other animals. We had him well trained. Then one day he snapped for NO REASON. He was a year and a half old when this happened. He attacked our horse. He latched himself onto the horses face and wouldn't let go.
    I think Pits are more unpredictable than other breeds.
    Anonymous

• It's sad and unfortunate that that happened to your horse...but that doesn't mean your dog was bad. Obviously, your pit bull was animal aggressive (not to be confused with human aggressive).

It's a good idea to do research before posting your opinions. Pits are actually NOT more likely to bite than another breed. Pits scored a passing rate of 83.9% in a recent study from the ATTS. That's as good or better than Beagles at 78.2% and Golden Retrievers at 83.2%.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Pit bulls are actually bred to be affectionate towards people.
    Pit bulls have been bred for hundreds of years for strength, agility, high pain tolerance and absence of aggression toward humans. Because they were traditionally fighting dogs and most were also family pets, the dogs required extensive handling. So even though they were bred to be aggressive towards other dogs, aggression toward humans has never been tolerated.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009