My son is 5 and is potty trained,but he tends to forget from time to time.

--at least once a day. He knows it is wrong and tries to hide it. I have tried many punishing methods--time out, take away fav toy and computer, I even went as far as calling him a baby(which he hates) I felt like a awful Mom doing that,but I am so out of ideas and need help. My son starts kindergarden this year and needs to learn this is so important. He is a loving child and I do not want him to be an outcast at school. Please help if you can?

eeyoree

Asked by eeyoree at 1:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you talked to his doctor about it? Have you tried rewarding him for not having any accidents instead of punishing him? Honestly, I know a lot of kindergartners that have accidents.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Make him go at certain times. I remind mine when I call him down for breakfast to run to the bathroom first. He has to try and go before we leave to go anywhere. If your problems happen at home, make him go before certain activities so he can't "forget". Ours likes to wait till the very last minute and then make a mad dash for the bathroom. When I ask him if he has to go he often says he doesn't but then 5 mins later he is dashing for the bathroom.
    Anonymous