does anyone buy from e-bay

I was just wondering how your experience was I might buy a phone but I was worried about getting scammed lol

sunkist9

Asked by sunkist9 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• There are plenty of scammers on ebay, to be certain...and they're not all just sellers either.

The best way to protect yourself is to first check their feedback. If that's good (and don't let a couple negatives amongst tons of positives throw you, some bad feedback is left as revenge for some imagined slight, so read through a few to know what's real), they have a return policy, and the price is right, then go ahead and buy...but make sure you pay with a credit card through PayPal. That way you have a double later of protection. If the phone is not what you expected it to be, you can tell PayPal, who is very likely to give you a refund. If they don't, dispute the charges with your credit card, who WILL give you a refund. Paypal will then fight it out with the seller.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• i never bought a phone, its too easy to buy a scam phone. =\ but we do buy stuff frequently
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I bought a DSLR from ebay and it was fine, but I haven't bought a phone. I've always just gone through our phone service carrier.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• thanks ladies we are looking to get another Iphone but I dont want to do another 2 yr contract so I cant get it for 199 i have to pay full price so I was going to get a used one she said if I do they can switch phones and I donthave to renew my contract but i was worried lol

sunkist9

Answer by sunkist9 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Electronics sold on Ebay is the BIGGEST scam area!!! I have been buying and selling on Ebay for 9 years, and have learned by reading horror stories and helping other buyers and sellers in this area. When you can get a FREE phone from your service provider (or pay very little for an upgrade), why would you buy something on the internet--especially Ebay, where if you have a question or problem you will have A LOT of difficulty working it out with the seller or getting a refund (trust me, if there is a problem your seller will NOT respond!).

Many of the electronics sold on Ebay are either STOLEN, COUNTERFEITS, or BROKEN/FAULTY.

Ebay is GREAT for MANY things--just not electronics.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I buy & sell on eBay sometimes and I have never been scammed. I always look at the sellers feedback number to be sure they are not newbies. If their number is high like several hundred or thousand than you should feel secure in your sale. If they have a very low number then you might really want to think about it. The one time I sold something to a buyer that had a "o" feedback number - they tried to discredit me and smear my name once they made the purchase. I will never sell or buy from a person with a very low feedback number.
    Anonymous

• thanks I guess i will suck it up and sign another 2 years and get one from them i am so glad I asked here first

sunkist9

Answer by sunkist9 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I buy on ebay.. not so much into selling IO go to craigslist to sell stuff.. just cuz it's free... but I have gotten some really nice baby stuff... but no electronics sorry..
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 1:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I buy things there. To help keep you from getting scammed, look at the seller's rating. How many people don't like doing business with them and why?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I buy lots of stuff from ebay and a friend of mine has bought a phone. Hers worked just fine, it was an apple i-touch. Make sure you check the seller's rating before you bid on anything from them, and find out their return policy. If it isn't explained in the posting I would ask before buying or avoid that particular seller. There are a lot of sellers that deal only in a particular item, like phones or ink cartridges, etc... they would be who I would trust the most.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009