Can I pass it on through breastfeeding?

So I've been sick since Sunday night, it started with just an upset stomch, which turned to puking from Midnight Monday morning to like 9 pm Monday night. Can I pass the flu bug or whatever it was to my son who I'm breastfeeding? He hasn't puked yet, but I was just curious.

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 1:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is actually very good that you are breastfeeding. Your body is making antibodies to the sickness that you have and it is being passed to him in the breast milk. If he does get sick it will probably not be as bad. Still make sure you wash your hands and try not to get too close to his face though. He can still get sick.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• you may pass it to him just as you would pass it to anyone else - it's not the breastmilk you will need to worry about. keep your hands washed and don't swap bodily fluids - ie don't kiss him and wash like a surgeon every time you even go NEAR the potty.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 1:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Agreed with Cara, I had bronchitis after my c-section and a severe cold after that and my doctor told me to keep BF so that he would get all the good antibodies!
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 1:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I am still breastfeeding my two-year-old because I have been astounded at the level of protection it has provided him against the illnesses he's been exposed to. At three weeks old, five members of our household had a stomach bug. They all had fevers of 103-104 with severe body aches and vomiting. I cared for two children under five with it, put the baby in the other room when I tended to them, and washed my hands. My son never got sick, even though he was in the car inches away from everyone coughing and sneezing quite a few times. This scenario repeated itself a dozen times over, including several colds that I caught from the older children (3, 5, 7, 9). You're producing amazing antibodies and passing them to your son. He will likely do just fine, and if he does get sick, it will be very mild and pass quickly.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Your baby is more likely to get sick if you breathe (little particles of saliva in your breath) on him or from not washing hands. BF will help him make antibodies.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Cara is right. Its better to be breast feeding. They are getting our antibodies that we are making to fight it off. The germs on your hands or face or other things will be your main concern. Hope you feel better.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• breastfeeding will help protect him from getting sick. It's the breathing on him and stuff like that that you have to worry about. The number one way to protect him from getting sick is to wash your hands often. Can you pump some milk to give him so you won't have to breath directly on him?
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Keep giving him the wonder serum and follow all of the other advice that the moms here have given you. Make sure that you are getting enough fluids in you to keep your supply up. You can drink some Mother's Milk tea to help out, too.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2009