How Do I get my 16 mo old daughter off the binki? Any suggestions?

Her teeth are getting messed up from sucking on it and they're coming outward.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her that she is a big girl and that big girls don't have binkies. Then make her throw it in the trash. Make sure she does it so she understands it's gone and never coming back. The first few days will be rough, but she will adjust as long as you don't give in.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Are you sure it is from the binki? I have not known anyone to have teeth problems from binkis. I would ask your doctor or dentist. If the binki is not the problem there is no reason to go through the trouble of making her give up her security item.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 1:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Pacifier's can push your child's teeth forward. I work in the dental field and I have seen it alot. We suggest to the parents to get rid of all the pacifiers. Cold turkey! The tantrums won't last long. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Many parents take away the binki except at nap/nigh time as a first step and then ditch them all together when the child gets closer to his/her second birthday. Perhaps that would work for you.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Sixteen months and she has teeth problems? Ive never heard of that being a problem so early. Not saying its not true. A lot of times toddlers teeth really just look spaced out and pushed forward. I would go ahead and try to take it from her, but take heart. Those teeth are going to fall out so thats a plus. Its when the permanent teeth come in that you need to be aware. I have had 4 passy suckers, so I know the consequences but it was about 5 before my second child showed any signs of teeth misalignment. Different methods work different for each child. We lost them all and I decided to not buy any more. He did just fine. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Start by only giving it only at night time and nap time. let her kno that shes a big girl. and big girls doesnt use them. I have also heard of people putting something that tastes bad on them like vinger and giving them to there babies n then them not wonting them. I have never tried it because my child never took one, but a friend of mine done her 19 month old son that way, and he never took it again
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 2:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2009