Why does my 2 1/2 year old get up in the middle of the night to sleep with me?

We switched my son to a twin bed and now i can't get him to go to bed at night unless i lay down with him and then he gets up in the middle of the night sometimes several times and I have to lay down with him to get him back to bed.

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not at that age yet, but it sounds like it may just be a habit now. His way to soothe is to come find mom. I am sure you can get some other good ideas but I would say to just ask him why. Maybe it is too hot, cold, dark, etc. in his room. Maybe he is having bad dreams, etc. Listen to what he says and go from there. Let him know that he is in a big boy bed now because he is a big boy and big boys must sleep in their bed all night long, etc.

Good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU! IT IS A PHASE THAT HE WILL OUTGROW. SOMEDAY SOON, HE WON'T ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU, ENJOY IT!

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try this technique: instead of laying down with him to fall asleep, sit next to his bed in a chair. Every night (or every other night) gradually move the chair farther from his bed and closer to the door until he no longer needs you to be in there with him to fall asleep.

When he wakes in the middle of the night and comes to you, take him back to his room and put him back in bed. When he stays in bed all night, make a big deal of it!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009