When should I start to potty train my son?

My son is 2 1/2 and he says "potty" and sometimes "pee" but when i put him on the potty all he wants to do is flush! His cousin was potty trained at 2 and other people are telling me I should start at 2?

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• according to our ped. and midwife:

"start potting training when your child is able to sit up alone for a few minutes - which is at around 10months".

i was out of diapers when i was 1year old.
    my daughter is 18months and we are potty train her since 10months. its not that easy though

you should start when YOU are ready. it takes time effort and a schedule
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Signs that a child is ready to potty train: staying dryer longer, regular bowel movements around the same time of day, going to a private spot to have a bm, telling you when a diaper change is needed.
    If you have any of that going on, go for it! As m.roberston811 said, you need to be ready too because it does take effort and a schedule-you'll need to stick close to home in the beginning because there are bound to be accidents plus you'll want to put him on the potty regularly.

If he doesn't want to sit on the potty, don't force it. He'll only be trained when he's really ready to train but there's no harm in giving it a go if you think he's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:52 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• my son started at 11 months. now he uses the potty all the time. he just walks in there.. i put him on it and he pees or poos. like its nothing. lol. by the way he is 13 months.
    revigue

Answer by revigue at 12:36 AM on Jan. 14, 2009