How do I get my 2 year old to brush his teeth?

My son will not brush his teeth unless I pin him down and try to open his mouth. He will run to the bathroom and say "teeth" and i give him the toothbrush and toothpaste but all he wants to do is play in the sink with the water! I'm afraid his teeth are going to get rotten HELP!

paytonpants54

Asked by paytonpants54 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him pick out his own "character" toothpaste. I worked for me! Good luck ;)
    Anonymous

• Oh, also get an electric toothbrush, It's a life saver and the kids seem to like it. The vibrations and it's really doing all the work. Let him brush himself and hen you quickly go over it.
    Anonymous

• Encourage brushing teeth twice a day. In the morning, let him brush however he wants to brush (even if that means he plays more than he brushes). In the evening, let him brush first and then you get in there and give his teeth a good brush. (We do this with our two year old twins and it works out just fine). Make a big deal out of him brushing his own teeth as well as when he lets you brush. You can even brush your teeth with him so he can see how it's done and also see that it doesn't hurt.
    Be sure that you're using a flouride free toothpaste and as the response above mine says, let him pick out his own toothbrush.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We have a little poem I "borrowed" from a Sandra Boynton book:

We brush & brush & brush our teeth.
    We brush on top, we brush beneath.
    We brush & brush & brush our teeth.

It took FOREVER to get my guy to do it. It got really frustrating, but once he got it, it was like a light came on, & now it's fun. Just keep at it. Good luck.
    susanb1229

Answer by susanb1229 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009