Home School

Does anyone homeschool their children? If yes, then how much does it cost and how did you get started doing it?

angellmm

Asked by angellmm at 1:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It can really cost as much or as little as you want it to. If your a creative do-it-yourselfer, you can make your own work book pages and the public libraries have lot's of books you can check out and make copies from. I spent about $250 on my 7th grader's core curriculm, $200 on my 2nd graders and about $150 on my Kindergartener but could have spent less if I didn't have to move her up to 1st grade work. We spend much more on extra stuff, projects and field trips.
    I got started by signing up with a homeschool group in my state. We're allowed to do it solo, but I feel much better having a trained and experienced teacher guiding me.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I homeschooled my grandson and it didn't cost me anything. I called the School Board and they told me where to go get his books for free (School District has old books they give away). I was able to get enough to create a homeschool section for my local library for others. You can also call a local college that trains teachers and ask the head of the dept if you can receive any free text books (new). they usually give both student books and teacher's edition. I used many lesson plans from online. When I did a search for the subject I added "lesson plan" and it brought up lots of free things including printable pages, tests, quizzes and fun exercises to make it interesting.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I home school my children and it can cost as much or as little as you want. I would suggest that you first look into the laws regarding homeschooling in your state. Once you know what is required of you can start looking at different websites and curriculum. I have tons of links that I could send you if you want to send me a PM. I personally use Switched on Schoolhouse and love it but it is religious based (though you could choose to leave out the bible course) and costs about $300 a yr for a complete years curriculum.
    xmasbaby73

Answer by xmasbaby73 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I homeschool my son and did not cost a thing .We find thing around the house and in the woods to work with.
    Anonymous

• Try americanschoolofcorr.com that's what i did its great!! you actually get a high school diploma
    MiasMommy6908

Answer by MiasMommy6908 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I do it costs different each year. I have heard of some great sites like freek-12.com and they help you do it all.

I started by doing an internet search for laws in my st ate and found a site that I liked for buying books if you want to pm me I will talk you through it to the best of my knowledge.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I homeschool 2 of my 3 children. When I had my ten year old and he is very sick, we chose to homeschool him. I also homeschool my 5 year old. It can be very costly, depending on what you choose as a curriculum. There are great ones all over the internet like A Beka Book, Bob Jones University Press, Rod and Staff, etc. Then, there are options of buying curriculum at Books-A-Million or Wal-Mart. There is almost always a section in a bookstore that has curriculum for homeschool ers and teachers .Check with your local state laws on homeschooling, and be sure to follow the guidelines. Keep records of attendance each month, and take state required tests when necessary, and you should do fine. You have lots of choices and lots of freedom to teach your child what you believe should be taught. Just go with it and have fun. You'll learn the basics as you go. I learn something new all the time. Best of Luck to you!!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I hmsch and have been doing so for16 yrs. and as others have said it cost as much as you want to pay.
    but the carpenter is only as good as his tools.
    You don't need to rich to do this you need to be smart. get the right curriculum that fits your childs learning style. ex. is your child a listener hands on or both. and oh my word if you want to tlk to me about curriculum I am here. I have tons of it because 5 children all different learners, I don't keep out of date items though. you can do this so many ways. I love being a teachermomof4 my oldest child graduated, hmsch, and 1 this year will graduate. than I'll be teachermomof3
    teachermomof5

Answer by teachermomof5 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009