Help selecting birth control...

I'm 21 and will be 22 on Jan. 29th...I just had my first baby 3 weeks ago. In 2 weeks, I go back to my ob/gyn to select birth control. I'm still undecided on what I want. I know that I do not want another baby right away(maybe when my baby is about 5)...I want to enjoy my first baby and watch him grow. What kind of birth control are you using? What do you reccommend? What do you not reccommend and why? Mirena seems like a good one...if you have it tell me if you like it or not and why? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had the Mirena and did not like it. Do your research on it. I had severe cramps and bleeding for 8 months. If you really read the information, possible side effects can be cramping and bleeding...up to 6 months after insertion. I tried to keep it for as long as possible but after 8 months when the bleeding didn't go away I had it removed. I got on Ortho Tri Cyclen and I love it. Yes I have to remember to take a pill each day at the same time, but it has become part of my nightly routine before I go to bed. I know exactly when my period is going to come. I like knowing that. With the Mirena, a lot of women just don't get a period anymore. You have to check monthly that the string is still there. It was actually painful to have sex...for my husband. The string wasn't cut short enough and it stabbed him. To me, it was not worth all that money...It's so expensive!! Good luck on your decision!

Anonymous

• if you're looking for long-term i would suggest an IUD. i was going ot get the Mirena, but ive heard alot of bad things about it, so i am getting just a plain copper one. it has no hormones so it shouldnt mess with your body so much.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I got the Mirena and it was great I got the string cut once about a month after insertation had no other problems Then about after having it for two years and not even having it checked my period came back!!!! then 28 days later my period came back again it has been almost two years and my period is back( I guess I didn't miss it as much as I thought!!!). Total my Mirena was in place 4 and a half years I only had the string cut once and placement checked once (when my period came back) It is truely in my opinion a just place it and forget it! I got it removed last feb, I got my tubes tied because I had really hard deliveries with both children and I decided two is enough to fill my heart with love.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I had the Depo Provera shot for almost 5 years (before I had kids) and besides a little weight gain, I had no bad side effects. I even stopped having periods! And, I was able to get pregnant within a year of going off the shot. I now have 2 boys (ages 2 and 1) and I would like to get back on the shot. Right now we are depending on good-ol' condoms. Just because you're going back in a week or so, don't let them rush you into choosing an option. Do research and use protection in the meantime.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I had my first baby in April and then got Mirena for birth control. Since I got pregnant while on the pill (which was my fault) I wanted birth control that I didn't have to think about. I haven't had my period since it was placed, and I have had no side effects that I can think of. Since you're not planning on pregnant for awhile I would definitely recommend this.
    steph2013

Answer by steph2013 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I have Mirena and for the first 7 mos it was great, I was nursing so no bleeding. Then I started every month and that was ok. Now I have been bleeding heavy every 2 weeks. I am having it removed next week. I have a friend that has had no trouble, she has had hers a little over a year. So next stop for me is a tubal, I think, I have to be readmitted and everythhing since they wouldn't do it when I had my son. What a pain. Good Luck on whatever you choose.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2009