How do I deal with a teenage father that won't grow up and help me raise our child? What should I do?

He acts so immature when it comes to helping me take care of our child. He would rather hang out with his friends then spending time with our daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• this father being a teenager has nothing to do with this. so you should have left that out because you wil probably ONLY get bashed on here.

good luck hun
    Anonymous

• Maybe you would be better off without him if he wont change.
    Anonymous

• hes a teenager and i hate to tell you but he isnt going to grow up anytime soon. If you being pregnant and having his baby didnt do it then its going to take some time. Dont push or he will end up leaving all together. Sorry but thats what happens when you have a baby with a teenage boy they arnt ready women we mature faster and are usuallly able to step up to the plate but boys arnt ready. Be patient i guess.
    Anonymous

• or kick him to the curb now and cut your ties with him.
    Anonymous

• He obviously wasn't ready to grow up when you had the child. I would say your options are to wait his phase out (if it is just a phase), or find a better man. =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Take him for child support and let the state deal with his ass cause pushing him won't do a damn thing my baby's father is 23 older than me i'm 21 and he still does that
    Anonymous

• You can't make him do anything, if he wants to be a jerk and not take responsiblility than that is his problem, take him to court and get child support that way
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• He is a teenage guy who probably like most teenagers is not ready to be a parent. There really is not anything you can do to make him grow up. Time will do that. I don't even think he is being a jerk probably just not emotionally mature enough to handle this kind of responsibility. Hopefully, he is using protection now so he does not create another life he is too young to care for.

Anonymous

• You can't control anyone's behavior but your own. If he is immature then he's not going to help. You should turn your thoughts from expecting him to help to what you can do as a strong woman to make life better for you and your child.

Answer by Bmat at 2:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not all of us are capable of instantly being a grown up..even when we partake in grown-up activities. You sound as if you are stepping up to the plate and caring for your child..Kuddos! Do not expect this young male to do the same...the act of making a child is so much more fun than caring and raising one. I say to continue as you are, I am sure you are getting help from loved ones, and continue to love your baby, unfortunately do not EVER count on this teen-age boy to be there. Are his parents involved? If not I would cinsider making them aware, they too are parents..of an obviously young boy,and need to have some long hard fact facing missions with him. Blessings...
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009