What worked with your learning disabled children?

My almost 3yr old son is behind a bit. We have a hard time teaching him very basic things like colours, shapes and today's issue was hard vs. soft. I'm about at my wit's end trying to get through to him. He doesn't qualify for any help, so we're trying hard to help him learn ourselves. He also has some speech problems that he might get some help for(praying so hard for this). What ideas have you used that worked? I'm runing out of learning approaches. Any advice would be great. He deserves the best chance at learning. Thank you in advance.

Momma.Mare

Asked by Momma.Mare at 1:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is delayed too. I had the same problem. So he is going to a special education preschool. He started about 3 years and now he is 5. He has improved sooo much and now this year he is graduating to regular kindergarten. You should talk to your local school and have him tested and ask if they have a special preschool.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 2:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Im sorry I didnt read that part about him not qualifying for any help. So I would buy preschool books and work with him everyday and get baby einstein videos they teach things like that. It may take some time. But eventually he will learn it. Dont give up.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 2:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I personally like teaching children that have learning issues using "matching folders". The concept is that initially you just have the child match the exact same image to it's replica (number to number, shape to shape, texture to texture, etc.) As that skill is mastered, you make it a little harder like a blue square to a red square, cotton ball to a cotton square, etc. Again as that is mastered, you make it more difficult, by changing object type (Moon, and ball for circle, etc). I hope that this makes since to you.....If you want me to explain more, msg me.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• We homeschool and they don't consider him "behind enough" for any help like that. That's why I'm ask what his dad and myself can do to help him learn at home.
    Momma.Mare

Answer by Momma.Mare at 2:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Kimebs & momof5kidz, those are helpful answers, thank you. He got to watch baby einstine when he was much younger at a friends' house and grew on them well. I like the matching folder idea too. I have a couple activity books I was given, but they are labeled for 5yr olds. Thanks, I think I just get so frustrated some times. I won't give up! :-)
    Momma.Mare

Answer by Momma.Mare at 2:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Try the website Do to Learn.com.....I find it helpful.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2009