I consider Catholic my brother and sister but

I would like to know why is it believed that if you were baptized catholic you'll always be catholic? My daughter was told this since she is now christian.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's based on the idea that baptism is more than symbolic - it is a Sacrament and actually does something. Baptism forgives original sin (and any personal sin if applicable). Baptism is regenerative - it is a way we receive grace from God. And baptism permantely marks our souls as a member of the New Covenant with God. So the idea of "once Catholic always Catholic" means that no one can take away the sacrament of Baptism - that mark on our soul is permanent. Even if someone chooses to leave the Catholic faith that doesn't undo a baptism. If they decide to return later they are not baptized again. So it's more like "Once Baptized Always Baptized"
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• I'm not catholic but my husband is and we had all our kids baptized. I think though that its because your being baptized into the religion and it's not really something you can undo.

Anonymous

• I have actually never heard that before.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 2:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Not necessarily- when you become a teenager, you must get Confirmed to fully complete your "initiation" into the Catholic faith. Once you are Confirmed you are saying you want to be Catholic, you believe in it, and you will practice the faith. If you decide not to be confirmed, then you don't have to consider yourself Catholic- its your decision as an adult, to decide to fully become an adult within the church. RCIA is the same for non-catholics- they go through the course to fully become a member of the church and to be able to receive communion. I am not sure though, if you decide not to get Confirmed, if you can still receive Communion- but most people go through their "first communion" which allows them to receive it. So I am not sure on that aspect. I was Confirmed and never asked those types of questions. I just did it.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• There are 3 sacrament of initition in the Catholic Church -- Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation. Someone is a full member of the Catholic Church when they receive all three. Generally speaking someone who is raised Catholic will be baptized first, then receive First Communion (Eucharist) and the Confirmation as they are older. Adults who convert and have not been baptized will receive all 3 sacraments when they convert. Adults who were baptized in another Christian faith will not be rebaptized but will receive the other 2 sacraments when they convert.

Abigail: I am not sure though, if you decide not to get Confirmed, if you can still receive Communion-

A Catholic who received their First Communion can continue to receive Communion if they haven't been confirmed -- however they should seriously consider receiving Confirmation if the intend to continue to practice the Catholic faith.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Oh - and one technicality. Catholics are Christians. So your sister was Christian when she was Catholic - she just changed denominiations.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2009

• You don't baptize for religion so no that's not true.
    Anonymous

• Never heard that. But I was baptized in the Catholic church and I left. So far I haven't exprerienced any "pins and needles" or anything. LOL. I think that just may be saying that you're dedicating yourself to the church. But if she "outgrows" it later, there's no reason to think she can't move on.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2009